Pedestrianize NYC

I’ll take what’s behind Door No. 2, Wink! (Sans the street parking…)

4 Likes

I wonder if this new NYS law will provide the funding for the Fifth Ave project.

2 Likes

Nice! where did you find this??

1 Like

I just Googled pedestrianize New York.

I think that what’s planned on Fifth will be much nicer than these in DC.

If the proposal renders are what is eventually built if the project moves forward, I personally would like to see the sidewalk hardscape material change to something else, the stripped pattern is a little jarring and makes for one too many elements in a number of new elements, it looks too cluttered. Something needs to be more neutral to appreciate the other things.

I’d like it more if it was just multi or same toned pavers randomly placed like at the WTC, Hudson Yards, and Manhattan West.

2 Likes

I hope that new uniform sidewalks are part of the plan. NYC concrete sidewalks are crappy.

I’d much rather have this over the existing sidewalk.

Slippery when wet. Lawsuits galore.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. I’d like to see the city be immune from lawsuits. The city spends billions each year defending and settling these suits.

Billions!? Figure of speech I hopte. But the best solution is to not install stuff that gets slippery when wet. Sidewalks should be treated like shower floors.

1 Like

The city spends nearly a billion each year for defense costs, settlements, and verdicts for tort suits, 99.9% of which are frivolous.

This does not include defense fees.

So just make sure to pave sidewalks using traditional concrete. Don’t reinvent the wheel when you don’t have to.

Concrete looks lousy. Some nice buildings have beautiful stone sidewalks. The plus side is that lowlives who sue don’t really hang out in this area.

According to the report you refer to, a very small part involve sidewalk issues (10% of tort claims which does not cover all the potential liability areas). So your post Robert is hyperbole. Let’s get real here. The images shown of potentially planned walking areas have shiny surfaces that are hardly appropriate outdoors. They shouldn’t even be used indoors in any space close to the potential presence of water or other fluids. Public planning can be done that takes risks into account. There are some great books about architecture and risk and good architects know about them.

I was talking about torts in general, Chused. The tort system in NY is a joke.

Still hyperbole. The notion that the vast bulk of claims are frivolous is untenable. I’m not suggesting that NYC’s litigation handling is wonderful but given the complexity of this place mistakes will be made frequently that cause real harm. The bit of info I’d really like to have is how many cases went to trial that the city lost. The data gloms together settlements and court judgments. I presume juries do hold the city liable and it’s those cases that are likely to be more borderline than ones the city settles. In any, case maybe we should get back to thinking about public planning in ways that are likely to reduce the likelihood of harm—protected bike lanes, requiring motorized vehicles of all sorts to register and carry insurance, moving restaurant shelters to the curb and removing bike lanes that sit between sidewalks and eating shelters, and so on. Thanks

1 Like

Happy New Year, Chused.

Ditto

1 Like

Thanks!

Yeah, that reminds me, Happy New Years everyone! I hope all of you guys have an amazing new years, it’s a time for reflection and goal setting, so work hard, have some fun and keep on keeping on!

1 Like