Pedestrianize NYC

The pedestrianization of Broadway and University Place has been nice, but more is warranted.

6 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

Don’t they have a plan set to pedestrianize Park Avenue? Or am I wrong

3 Likes

Yes. The medians will be widened, but I think it will be over the course of around 20 years because I think they need to rebuild the street over the tracks first.

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s taking 20 years because they’re doing maintenance on the train sheds underneath, then they need to rebuild the street, then they’ll do the widening, greening etc

1 Like

That’s correct. The medians are an afterthought.

5 Likes
4 Likes

While this does not relate to pedestrianization, I look forward to this new green space.

6 Likes

Here too…

550 Madison Avenue’s Landscaped Public Plaza Nears Completion in Midtown East, Manhattan - New York YIMBY

5 Likes

Hudson Square’s streetscape improvements should be emulated throughout the city. It looks amazing.

3 Likes

NYC wants to take 25% of streets from cars, give to pedestrians & bikes (electrek.co)

3 Likes

4 Likes

Does anyone know of an studies out there on how far away most people are from a subway station at any given time in Manhattan?

It seems that a hand-assed plan was adopted for Third instead of this.

1 Like

This would be amazing.

6 Likes

A little late to the game but there is a city planning exhibit running through the weekend at Grand Central. It’s interesting, goes back 100 years.

1 Like

In some ways, Covid has presented a silver lining in that it showed the benefits of pedestrianization. I hope that many of these visions come to fruition. NY’s sidewalks are too small. All street parking on avenues should be eliminated for people and traffic lanes should be dramatically reduced.

4 Likes