Pedestrianize NYC

Yesterday was my first full day back in NYC after 3 years in Boston. I spent the last 15 years in NYC before that.

I will say walking through midtown, it was the first time I actually noticed the poor air quality. The streets smell like CO2 from all the car and bus exhaust. I am not some climate activist, but I would love to see wider sidewalks filled with trees and bushes. I think this would make a tremendous difference and really beautify the city. Fifth and Broadway should be the minimum that gets done. Chicago is the case study here, Michigan avenue is gorgeous.

4 Likes

I agree. As far as Chi goes though, it’s really a one-street town: Michigan Ave. The Loop isn’t decked out with gardens like Michigan Ave. State St has some nice plantings, but it could be greener too. That being said Michigan Ave north of the river is the standard to strive for.

1 Like

If Manhattan pedestrianized its streets I would love to see proposals on how trash collection would be incorporated into a walkable system like that.

You’re always going to need a lane or some kind of easement for emergency vehicles etc.

That’s true.

I believe that in Florence Italy, where much of the center of town has been pedestrianized, deliveries are restricted to very early morning hours and there is emergency accommodations.

3 Likes

La Rambla in Barcelona is probably the same too.

I love outdoor dining. I’d rather see this than wall to wall cars next to the sidewalk.

1 Like

This looks great, of course not so much in January and the few months before and after. lol

This is from 2013, but the ideas are good.

1 Like
5 Likes

I’m in favor of this as it is chancy to walk around this area.

1 Like

Progress on Willoughby Square

7 Likes

Great photos. That’s going to be nice.

2 Likes

Final product

8 Likes

This is going to be great!

1 Like

Wow I just assumed another tower was going there -

1 Like
5 Likes

That’s great news. I plan on going to the city the 1st week of December for my annual Christmas tree pilgrimage. That area is an absolute madhouse during the holidays.

2 Likes

I always love seeing Santa Con around that time. I applaud seeing young people having fun.

1 Like