Pedestrianize NYC

This will be a bus nightmare.

1 Like

Manhattan’s Fifth Avenue To Go Car Free for First Time in Decades (costar.com)

1 Like

This is AMAZING!!!

7 Likes

Kudos to Mayor Adams !!!

Mayor touts pedestrian plan to ‘reimagine’ Fifth Avenue in Manhattan - Gothamist

4 Likes

9 Likes

Helllllllll yes!

3 Likes

I agree. I think that this beautification program will also spur development. I can see some of the 1960s, class c office buildings in the 40s redeveloped into five-star hotels and condos.

3 Likes

In my opinion the era of connivence and cheap shopping is over. People now want places to walk around and have an experience with culture (which includes architecture / design). Hell just look at the quality of some of these high end restaurant interiors. People want well designed environments they can take pics of.

Walking around in ugly suburbia with a designer handbag is no longer cool.

1 Like

This is extremely exciting I hope it becomes reality.

1 Like

i feel like two exclusive bus lanes is too much, also considering is just for a few blocks, but overall the redevelopment of a few corridors is urgently needed. the streets need to be beautified with mor greenery and walking space

I agree. However, they needed to appease the naysayers. I would not be surprised if there’s only one bus lane in a few years.

1 Like

Is it? Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this stretch of Fifth Ave has between five and six bus lines (the M1, M2, M3, M4, M5 and M55). Two dedicated lanes will help avoid bunching and allow for seamless express/local services.

1 Like

There are five lanes presently, and two of them are bus lanes.

Present condition

Glorious future condition

4 Likes

Exactly, not only the Manhattan bus lines you mentioned, but a bunch of express bus services that go to and come from the outer boroughs and the suburbs. Look at all the bus lines for just Staten Island that go down 5th Ave

Not to mention the other Xpress services from other boros that feed into 5th ave in Midtown

Two bus lanes is absolutely necessary here…Which is why there are two bus lanes here currently.

5 Likes

Those mentioning the 2 bus lanes as being too much did not see in the article that Mayor Adams is also trying to push for more “sustainable and mass transit options” with this pedestrianization proposal. So it makes sense that the visuals still show 2 lanes, has nothing to do about naysayer (?).

The City closed two lanes of traffic on Fifth: the ones closest to the sidewalk on the east and west sides of the avenue. Traffic was fine. Robert Moses is dead!

Bring it on!

7 Likes

This is badly needed. 5th Ave sidewalks can get packed, and not just during the holidays.

3 Likes

agreed, 8th ave in Midtown needs this treatment, maybe not as extravagant, but the huge amount of pedestrians necessitate the widening of the sidewalks

1 Like

I agree. The city has already closed traffic lanes on 8th. I suspect that 5th is the pilot to show the naysayers who wildly successful and popular this program will be. In a few years, I think that it will be greatly expanded.

I applaud Mayor Adams.

4 Likes