New York Metropolitan Vintage Photo/Video Collection

What part of Manhattan is that?

Most of the houses were in what is now Upper Manhattan (west of Central Park), this area was still rural for years. Whereby it must be said that the pictures come from the years 1853 and 1853, one can sometimes only guess the place.

94th Street and Bloomingdale Road

Fifth Avenue and 59th Street (current site of Plaza Hotel), 1866. Geographic File, PR 20.

View looking north from roof of original Barnard College Building at 120th Street and Broadway, 1897

View north from roof of Dakota Apartment Building, 1887.

10 Likes

Aerial view of 1950s Midtown Manhattan. Hulton Archive/Getty Images
(From this article New York Above 800 Feet - The New York Times)

13 Likes

TSQ 991

7 Likes

Nightview from the old Twin Towers from 1980

Collection by Miss Mackensen

7 Likes

The Story of a Building, 1958 (Seagram Building in New York City)

5 Likes

Since a question came up if the building to the left of 270 Park Ave. is the Seagram Building, I’m solving the mystery today.

No, it’s the Citibank Building still under construction which was completed in 1961 so the shot could be from 1960.

In this shot you can see the Seagram Building very well, and 270 Park Ave. is also under construction.

Old 270 Park Ave in the Skyline 1961

7 Likes

I’d assume you’re referring to the conversation on the 270 Park Ave thread, I had mistaken 399 Park Avenue for 345 Park Avenue and thought the building to the left of it (which is what I was motioning to in the 270 thread, not 399) was the Seagram, but the Seagram building isn’t visible in the image at all as it’s behind the original 270 Park Avenue entirely.

1 Like

Decorations for Columbus Day, 1892

9 Likes

RIP :cry:

1 Like

7 Likes

BT Babbitt Soap Factory at 47 West St

c. 1942 showing the copper roof after it was expanded and remodeled in 1912

tunnel construction c. 1946

an interesting paintjob c. 1949

some kind of red paintjob in 1971

death throes

8 Likes

This one hurts. (most of them to be honest)

7 Likes

The history of New York’s Newspaper Row, the epicenter of 19th century news

6SQFT

3 Likes

Evening Post Building

Orginal Rendering

Drawing

Floor-Plan

West Street view

Aerial view of Lower Manhattan on the far left you can see the construction site of the Evening Post Building.

12 Likes

Weird little advert with the roofs of 48 Wall Street and 52 Wall Street with the Cities Service Bldg c. 1980

An elevator lobby in 52 Wall St

Some frames of 52 Wall Street from Live And Let Die

The lot line walls of 52 Wall Street 1 year before demolition

10 Likes

I had to edit this picture to be able to show something on it, because it is very bright.

Because it shows the same building under reconstruction or renovation the photo was taken in 1920.

4 Likes

my guess is renovation, they added the roof in 1912 but they kept repainting it every few years for some reason

Love that photo of the softball game

around 1928

6 Likes