The Chicago Skyline Photo Collection

I love the New York and Toronto ones, and I hope to contribute to those with future visits to these wonderful cities, but I notice there is no thread for one of my favorite cities- CHICAGO! In my opinion, Chicago has the most beautiful skylines, with its many shapes and colors, and I think its truly amazing how fast the skyline has grew in the past 50 years! I’ve been to Chicago four times within the past couple of years, so I have plenty photos to offer.

4 Likes

I’ll start things off

All from my first visit in 2015

12 Likes

Here’s some more from my second trip in late 2015

11 Likes

August 2017

11 Likes

Beautiful! I take that this was from the John Hancock Center?

2 Likes

Taken by me, last April.

11 Likes

circa 1950s

Vintage Found Photo - Chicago Skyline by Mark Susina, on Flickr

12 Likes

Wow. I cant even recognize the skyline.

3 Likes

Is the building with the spire 1 Prudential Plaza?

1 Like

Here’s one last photo that I took this past May and put on my Instagram

7 Likes

most of Chicago’s iconic skyscrapers didn’t rise until the 1970s. Chicago, despite being considered NYC’s only rival as far as skylines go, didn’t complete its first 200-meter skyscraper until the John Hancock Building was topped off in 1968. NYC built The Metropolitan Life Clock Tower in 1909, and we all know of the great skyscraper race of the 1930s.

edit: yes, that is 1 Prudential Plaza. It was completed in 1955.

3 Likes

It’s truly amazing to think that the whole city was different in just 50 years’ time.

2 Likes

Holy moly, that’s just as Gotham as Gotham!

4 Likes

The Chicago Board of Trade Building, probably Chicago’s most famous skyscraper before the supertalls, is Wayne Enterprises in the Chris Nolan films :slight_smile:

19680517 04 Northeast from Wacker Drive & Congress St. by David Wilson, on Flickr

10 Likes

I really like this shot.

Credit: k de muth

9 Likes

Aon Center under construction 1972

Water Tower Place under constructipn 1975

9 Likes

Skyline from 1958

City View from the Prudential Building 1967

Southwest from Prudential Building 1963

5 Likes

Is this pic to old?