NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (217 W 57th St) | 1,550 FT | 98 FLOORS

From this picture I can see the movement from Art Deco to Bauhaus but I don’t think it has aged well.

1 Like

I’ve always found it quite pleasing on that site. Glad to know it’s not going anywhere.

I did not know the history of this building: age, design intent or landmark status. I guess one could say this building is an example of the early works of ‘modernist’ architecture; as this was not designed in the traditonal or classical styles which was the predominant mode of architecture at the time.

It is sort of a plain looking building (except for the mosaic in front) and one would not expect a landmark status: but that historical significance really makes the case. I see 240 CPS with a new found level of appreciation. :tada:

4 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

I wonder if these listings on Extell’s website are the only units left. If so, that’s amazing.

2 Likes

undoubtedly there are units available that are off the market. It’s a well known controversy i’m sure I don’t need to explain, although I doubt it matters much when it comes the class of buyer this tower caters to.

2 Likes

Yes, but it seems that this tower is largely sold out. Same with Steinway and 53 W 53rd and 220 CPS. NY is amazing.

2 Likes

14 Likes
5 Likes

CPT from, of course, Central Park on a beautiful day.

8 Likes

Is it my imagination or is the park rather green for November?

4 Likes

global warming. lol

4 Likes

Greener than usual because of warming but trees are turning. It’s beautiful right now. Marathoners are getting some good scenery while they suffer in the warmth.

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ckn4ayxrvpr/

13 Likes

This is one of my new favorite angles to capture NY

1 Like

Mccart,

Can you post this?

1 Like

“124th floor” at Central Park Tower tops Manhattan luxury contracts

Unit in Gary Barnett’s building with 98 above-ground stories was asking $66M

New York /

November 21, 2022 03:30 PM

By Sasha Jones

Unit 124 at 217 West 57th Street and Gary Barnett (Extell Development, StreetEasy)

Gary Barnett has another pricey sale lined up at Central Park Tower.

Unit 124 at Extell Development’s 217 West 57th Street went into contract last week asking $66 million, leading Olshan Realty’s report on contracts signed for Manhattan homes priced at $4 million or more.

ADVERTISING

The 7,000-square-foot apartment encompasses all of what Extell calls the “124th floor” (the building actually has 98 above-ground stories, but for marketing purposes some 30 floor numbers are skipped) and has five bedrooms and five and a half bathrooms.

The 31-by-50-foot living room has windows on three sides that offer views of Central Park and the city, while the primary bedroom suite has a bathroom and sitting room in the west wing of the apartment.

A similar sponsor unit closed on the “123rd floor” in May for over $48 million. This year, 29 units in the building have closed, averaging $5,132 per square foot and 2,958 square feet. That works out to about $15.2 million per apartment and $441 million overall.

Extell in 2017 pegged Central Park Tower’s sellout at $4 billion, but last year it appeared it could fall $1 billion short of that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Read more

The second priciest Manhattan home to enter into contract last week was PH2 at Second Development Services and the Richport Group’s 22 Bond Street in Noho. The unit asked $17.5 million, reduced from nearly $22 million. The developers started marketing off floorplans in 2015, but cycled through four brokerage firms as they struggled to sell units.

The triplex penthouse condo has almost 4,000 square feet across three bedrooms and three and a half bathrooms, along with nearly 1,000 square feet of outdoor space.

Overall, 17 luxury contracts were signed last week — 12 for condos and five for co-ops.

The units spent an average of 590 days on the market, with an average discount of 4 percent. The median asking price was $6 million and the average was $10 million.

Contact Sasha Jones

3 Likes

Thanks

These are impressive sales.

2 Likes