NEW YORK | 111 West 57th St | 1,428 FT | 91 FLOORS

What I find more odd than the lack of progress on the lighting; is all those missing terra cotta tiles. These are all probably those small finishing-up details referred to in the construction industry as a “punch list”.

The “punch list” items often drag out long after substantial completion of the building; but these items eventually do get done. :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Obviously it’s not. If renderings and actual photos show lighting, then its gonna happen. We gotta be patient

To the left of Philadelphia City Hall and One South Broad, the W/Element Hotel was completely dark (July 2019)

November 2022

4 Likes
1 Like

CPT’s lighting scheme still has glitches in it, on the ‘dim’ sides there are inconsistencies which makes me think they were in the middle of programming it during the summer and the contractor has been off-site for several months. Same thing with 111 being nowhere near finished-- it seems like there’s a real shortage of the designers and tradespeople who work on this stuff, and delivery times are dragging into the years. Eventually both these towers will look decent, though they’ll probably start suffering LED blowouts in no time just like Hudson yards and WTC.

6 Likes

I recall reading part of the lighting plan was to embed lighting directly into the system of terracotta facade panels on the facade. I think that aspect of the design has been abandoned or perhaps it is still in progress: which may explain that “one lonely lightbulb”.

One thing for sure; when all the final details are completed - nothing about this tower will look CaCa. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

The three seperate big mechanical floors that divide through the tower structure under the crown should also have lighting as well, yet have none

7 Likes

I was going to mention that as well. I fear there’s a good chance that could get scrapped as is often the way with these things

That’s what I’ve been waiting on as well! Having all the LEDs stay dark over a year after 111 and CPT have been completed is disappointing :frowning: Hopefully within this decade, they’ll figure out the lighting of these buildings :neutral_face:

1 Like

I think we should still keep waiting. They tested the lights on the W in Philly in June 2019, and thet didn’t put the lights on until early last year. These are bigger towers with more lighting, so I think we should just wait

I don’t know, the lighting company for this project seems to do a lot of high profile buildings including those in our city. I doubt they would just give up unless JDS pulled the plug. I don’t see that happening but maybe I’m hopeful. It’s still listed as a current project.

https://lobsintl.com/projects/in-progress

Architectural lighting is an attractive feature; so this will be worth waiting for if it is done with a good measure of taste & refinement.

It is easy to get ‘carried away’ with Architectural lighting as we see here: where ever this city scape is located. :scream_cat: It looks CaCa - aka tacky. …

5 Likes

^That’s obviously Hong Kong and there’s nothing carried away about it.

3 Likes

Sorry… that looks CaCa…aka. Very garish… However, I fully respect all opinions!

This is a good opportunity to share something I read today regarding ‘Opinions’ in the realm of Architectural Design.

Enjoy. Designing for Whom?. The failure of architecture to appeal… | by Sotiris Frankos | Medium

1 Like
2 Likes

I’ve been to HK, and I can say, that beyond aesthetics, the light show creates an unique urban moment, the whole city seems to come together like nowhere else.

4 Likes

Yes, that light show is dazzling. The point is; I would not want to see that type if extravagant lighting on NYC towers - it would look tacky, or garish IMHO. I spent about a year working side-by-side with one of the partners of shoP ; one of his expressions when a design was deemed tasteless or tacky was - “that looks CaCa”. I can say with near certainty that any light scheme like those in HK put on 111West57 would surly be something deemed “CaCa” by shoP. :star_struck:

That is what I see as “over doing it” - for NYC anyway.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree, Hong Kong light show is very Honk Kong, And it fits right for them, but I believe NY can do better than it does now

4 Likes

I am trying to figure out if the extent of the lighting scheme is the ‘crown only’. There is something I am not sure on the lighting that runs up the length of the facade on the terra cotta tiles: not sure. This thing is still a work in progress.

I believe both the crown and sides of the building were meant to light up, and we’ve indeed seen partial lighting of the terracotta both on the building itself and on an early mock up facade test. It’s just the crown lighting that we don’t really know of as there’s only one crown lighting render that shows a chandelier type installation inside of it.

Its also just my personal opinion, but its hard to not point out that a connection between lights in Hong Kong and lights in NYC can’t be made, because HK’s light show is just that, it “is” a light show not meant to be architectural lighting. Buildings in NYC are both in a category of architectural lighting (like Central Part Tower) and light shows & architectural lighting (ESB/One WTC). The 2 cities are noncomparable.

2 Likes

Quite a few HK buildings have their own passive architectural lighting in addition to all the wild lasers and spotlights that come on for the show. I personally find the HK light show a little ostentatious, but as Alemel says above, it does create a unique civic moment and that’s worth something.

I wouldn’t want to see laser lights over the NYC skyline, but I do think there’s an opportunity to coordinate the lighting schemes across the city to do a more elegant kind of “show.” For instance, a slow wave of color washing from the WTC uptown, with each of the major towers along the way changing in sequence, could be beautiful.

3 Likes