NEW YORK | 1 & 2 Manhattan West | 995 + 935 FT | 67 + 56 FLOORS

I mean technically the Brooklyn Bridge spans between Manhattan and “Long Island”, since Brooklyn is part of it geographically. But I get what you mean lol

But as for the Manhattan West complex I’m done :sweat_smile:

From last year

4 Likes

What I think is particularly hilarious is that 1 and 2 Manhattan West may appear similar, but they were constructed so differently that the likeness is entirely superficial.

They’re more like the ‘west-midtown step-sisters who dress alike.’

4 Likes

Wdym constructed differently?

They were built over tracks. 1 is supported by the core with no perimeter columns to the ground. 2 is a more traditional structure with load bearing core and perimeter columns.

10 Likes

Yep barnhillj remembers.

1 Manhattan West has a conventional concrete core and steel exoskeleton above the base.

At the base there are no exterior columns, making the lobby completely unique in the city. (The only building comparable at the base is Citicorp and maybe IBM on 57th).

I believe 2 MW has a braced steel core, not one of reinforced concrete (so more like 30 Hudson Yard and 270 Park).

12 Likes

A good way to visualize this is the end product. Look at the difference in the lobbies of both buildings. 1MW has no perimeter columns while 2MW has them. Different approaches for different ground conditions. It doesn’t show all the differences but its one example.

via Field Condition

via Manhattan West NYC

19 Likes

Very interesting. Now I see what they meant by comparing it to Citigroup.

3 Likes

@007 would you be able to credit me my photo from early September 2017. This is from my last visit to NY.

This perspective section from SOM does well to show the major differences between the 2 buildings.

19 Likes

1 Manhattan West’s lower structure has a lot of similarities to 270 Park, but 270 Park doesn’t have a concrete core which is more impressive.

1 Like

I personally find the column loads/fan columns and tabletop girder of 270 Park Ave to be it’s unique factor(s), as buildings don’t necessarily need concrete cores to be stable. The reason I find 1 Manhattan to be the more impressive of the 2 is because all loads of the building are being redirected and supported by the core itself, while 270’s loads are fairly evenly distributed in all the ground floor columns that it does have, which makes it somewhat more similar to 2MW in that manner. If 270 “had” been designed to have been similar to the case at 1 MW, then it would’ve been the more impressive building due to it’s size.

I did this for a class assignment in college and it really made me appreciate 1MW more than I already did back then. It’d be interesting if I did another for 270.

19 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmurP6EucVm/

7 Likes

A few more reference photos for you mcart. See if you can guess which one of these was shot on film:

11 Likes

nice shot SideStreet!

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnQNOnUuV5Q/

14 Likes

Zipped

Via NY GUY on Skyscraperpage

22 Likes

22 Likes

16 Likes

Looks like works are rapidly finishing up, I wonder if landscaping/hardscape work has started.

Let’s see how long it takes for the lights on 2 to be installed/turned on lol.

5 Likes