WHITE PLAINS | Development News

Good riddance. It can’t come down fast enough

3 Likes

The Westchester Mall is just as pedestrian-hostile as the Galleria. Will it be knocked down as well?

2 Likes

The Westchester is beautiful and has great stores. Also, it’s not in the center of downtown and across from MNR. Lastly, the Westchester’s location right off 287 makes it ideal for shoppers from all over Westchester and Connecticut.

I’d love to see the Galleria redeveloped as two tall towers with retail at the base and a huge park in the middle.

4 Likes

Yeah the Galleria’s time has come. I’d would have loved to see it at its peak 80s mall glory though…

3 Likes

I was a very little kid when it was developed. Downtown WP was a filthy, disgusting hole at the time, and the G was an improvement. However, it is time to redevelop that site .

2 Likes

The Galleria was out of place as soon as it was built.

The Galleria, the huge covered mall in the center of town, has become the symbol of the new White Plains. Built by Cadillac-Fairview, a Canadian real-estate company, and completed in 1980, it seems to do literally what everything else in downtown does figuratively - bringing the feeling of the suburbs into downtown.

The complex is so big it leaps over an entire city street, and it is so oriented toward the automobile that it is almost impossible to figure out how to enter or leave it as a pedestrian.

As a work of architecture, the Galleria does not even rank among the better examples of its own type. On the outside it looks like a convention center, and on the inside it is garish.

If it goes well with anything, it is the forbidding concrete architecture of the new White Plains Library and Westchester County Courthouse across the street, a pair of dreary and bureaucratic imitations of the work of Le Corbusier. Together, all of these buildings make a harsh world of concrete, a world suited more to the landscape of the freeway than to the mood of a city.

The Westchester mall repeated the same mistakes a decade-and-a-half later. But because it has softer tones on the outside and caters to an affluent rather than a working-class clientele, it gives people the warm-and-fuzzies instead of a desire to knock it down.

3 Likes

The Westchester also isn’t in the center of downtown WP.

Speaking of WP, I watched The Americans for the first time, and their house is in WP (though it’s “set” in Falls Church, Va). By the way, they show Keri Russell’s AMAZING butt a lot, which is AWESOME!!’

2 Likes

Back in the day the Galleria was the place to be

https://westchester.pastperfectonline.com/search?utf8=✓&search_criteria=galleria&searchButton=Search&only_images=on

3 Likes

8 Likes

Very nice!

1 Like

The Ritz Carlton is reopening under a new name.

3 Likes

441 Central Avenue

2 Likes
1 Like

20 Haarlem Avenue - 163 residential units, 216 parking spaces
27 Holland Avenue - 133 residential units, 164 paring spaces

70 Westchester Avenue - 175 residential units, 297 parking spaces

2 Likes

they should build a pedestrian bridge over Westchester Avenue to the mall if they’re going to have an upper tier like that. That would make for an excellent gateway to Downtown up the hill.

1 Like

Construction has commenced at 440 Hamilton Avenue

Photo by Bob Rozycki (Westchester & Fairfield County Business Journals)

1 Like

I will celebrate when the Galleria comes down. I hate that dump.

1 Like

51 South Broadway

2 Likes

Thank God! That little site is garbage and is prime for development.