NEW YORK | One High Line | 76 11th Ave | 400 + 300 FT | 28 & 38 FLOORS

14 Likes

17 Likes

This one is nearing completion: finally. This is one artful, and outstanding work of Architecture. I can only quibble about the odd protruding terrazzo slabs on the corner sections. I would like to see that whole facade flat & smooth: but that is a minor wrinkle - and personal preference to boot. :rofl:

I recently noticed that this is exactly the same type of terrazzo slabs that were used to clad the original Lincoln Center Buildings. I have a recent photo taken from the back wall of Lincoln Center where a large mural has been pained. If you look above/below the mural you can see the exact match terrazzo; only much dirtier, and a bit cracked.

Here is the Lincoln Center Facade stone panels. Interesting to compare how similar; or perhaps exact the color, texture looks. They may have come from the same quarry.

2 Likes

Travertine* it’s travertine, terrazzo and travertine are very very different from one another. :+1:

7 Likes

I guess they are both ‘travertine’ at One High Line & Lincoln Center.

I was surprised to see that much of the facade “travertine” slabs had cracked over the years; as seen in the above photo. The same cracking was all over the facades of the many buildings at the Lincoln Center Complex.

The recent renovation has resulted in the replacement of many of those broken stone panels. I wonder if the facade here at 76 11th will eventually start cracking too. This stone has an attractive texture & color variation: but does not (apparently) age well. :roll_eyes:

I think the word is “vulnerable”.

Quote - Designed by a coalition of esteemed architects, Lincoln Center’s melange of arched facades, clad in luminescent but vulnerable travertine, bears the scars of patchwork repairs and deterioration. Center officials and construction experts say they are doing the constant repairs and maintenance to be expected at a complex drawing about five million patrons annually. The complex, stretching from 66th to 62d Streets between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues, has 12,000 seats and numerous outdoor events.

PS. Why in the world do those few “travertine” facade panels on One Hight Line have to be sticking-out as if they are about to ‘pop off’ - boggles the mind.

2 Likes

I was surprised when I first learned that the facade of One High Line would be made of travertine. Having lived near Lincoln Center for nearly 20 years I was aware of how the stone was deteriorating. Limestone, what travertine is, is very porous but the nooks and crannies that give travertine its unique texture is a problem in climates with temperature extremes. Moisture in the stone freezes in the winter and the constant year after year of expansion and contraction compromises the stone’s integrity. It is much better suited for a mild climate. Probably the best example of that would be the coliseum in Rome, made almost exclusively from travertine and still standing, for the most part, after nearly 2000 years and a couple of earthquakes. That said, I don’t expect this project will fair any better, maybe worse, depending on how thick this stone is compared to what was used in Lincoln Center.

5 Likes

It’s petrified moss.

1 Like

HeHe, More like a petrified ‘mess’.

I like the look OK… but that material does not age well. After about 20 years, the Lincoln Center facade was cracking, pitted & soiled.

I agree: an odd choice given that material is commonly known to be “Vulnerable”.

It was a “gift” from Italy. A clever marketing ploy to promote a material that they previously had to demolish in quarries in order to get to the ‘real’ marble.

Crazy to see one of the roofs actually finished on these towers, they’ve been covered on scaffolding for years!

2 Likes

The roof is finished on BOTH towers now: simple metallic boxes: a perfect topper for this zig-zag form factor.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/d_b_interiors/

13 Likes

Already tired of this one -

3 Likes

Twisted (One High Line) - West Chelsea, New York City by Andreas Komodromos, on Flickr

10 Likes

I get your point on that particular sentiment; the ongoing saga of the planning, approval, design, construction, litigation - has been never ending.

However, I am always ‘inspired’ by this one. I guess that speaks to the power of exciting, artful architecture. Doing Architecture with a capital ‘A’ is often worth the extra effort.

I am still loving this project… :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

11 Likes

From 10.2.23:

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

From 10.3.23:

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

11 Likes

3rd shot = amazing!

3 Likes

Yeah… I was practically running along the Jersey side trying to get into position to capture 270 Park, 1VB, ESB, and Chrysler with their crowns illuminated with the last light but didn’t haul ass fast enough so I snapped where I was. When I got into the position the light was lost but I guess the pursuit is some of the fun :sob:.

4 Likes