NEW YORK | One High Line | 76 11th Ave | 400 + 300 FT | 28 & 38 FLOORS

That looks even better!

2 Likes

I can’t imagine the courtyard will be open access. It’s right next to a housing project and that would be begging for trouble.

The installation of the terracotta stone panels looks like an intricate process. This is clearly a labor intensive facade treatment. The final result will be well worth the effort; the facade materials have a very ‘high-end’ quality look.

This corner looks tricky; so many odd angles for each stone panel.

8 Likes

I’ll say that any façade with stone related treatment (travertine* here) is an intricate process but still not as difficult as one would think.

Panels are fabricated and cut to shape off site and numbered, from then on once they arrive on site its just a matter of hanging them (literally) by their number like a paint by number piece or a puzzle. The bars that they hang on are also manufactured to the angle that the stone panels need to be positioned on the building, so nothing is really difficult or tricky, its just a matter of lining everything up with allowed tolerance.

The more labor intensive part isn’t installing the panels or hanging system, its caulking and sealing all the joints.

3 Likes

As labor intensive as that can be, this is still clearly taking longer than intended, not even counting the actual total hold on construction last year.

3 Likes

They are finally finishing the base.

17 Likes

11 Likes

11 Likes

Glad to see work moving toward completion. But I didn’t like this project when I first saw the plans and I still don’t. I find the shapes awkward. And the panels on the columns are jagged and don’t flow with the slant of the design. Slants can be much more refined than in this project.

3 Likes

I have always been a BIG fan (see what I did there :stuck_out_tongue:) of this building. My only critique at this point: those little corner panels that do not seem to fit in flush with the other panels.

That is a slight flaw that I hope can be fixed. This is iconic, cutting edge architectural design; the construction details here must be kept to a high standard.

2 Likes

Those joints just haven’t been filled in with sealant/caulking in those photos, the openings/spacing have largely disappeared now because they’ve been filled.

2 Likes

I am referring to the corner most panels that tilt out slightly on one side. I will try to get a better photo detail posted if find some time. I don’t think were are both referring to the same facade detail.

I go by there today: maybe get another pic to post soon.

1 Like

Oh ok, I know what your referencing now, the joints in those havent been filled either in those photos but that offset will remain as it’s caused by the slope of each face. Each floor’s set of panels are on the same plane, they increase/decrease their tilt per floor and not necessarily per panel, which would lessen that effect. But they are very visible on that twisting side in particular because it is one of the more extreme sides, the other corners that twist are wider and have less angle to deal with that would cause them to look like they are severely overhanging or unaligned.

1 Like

At 2:55 the corner section of the facade comes into view. The mis-fit panels are visible in the video: but the video is a bit fuzzy. I will try to get better photos. BTW - this guy does some NIFTY videos on NYC architecture.

4 Likes

Yeah, that is a result of my aforementioned information in my previous post, the caulking of the joints has lessened the stepping affect that they have in that video and on your photos, but they will not be fixed because that is how they are intended to be.

The twisting is segmented, it is not fluid and continuous, that is why the stepping exists. But like I mentioned before, it is segmented per floor and not by panel, that is why the spacing looks so noticeable.

This seems like a design, or construction defect. Whatever the reason; it looks bad.

Here is the look of the smooth continuous facade in the renderings. I guess this could not be achieved in the physical manifestation of the building. I am ok with this little imperfection; just a bit disappointed it does not look as good, or the same as in the renderings.

3 Likes

Those particular renders only show the facades that are perfectly flat, the issue of the stepping only exists on the twisting sides, but like I said, it is not a defect, it is intentional.

Last photo, nice view of ESB -

3 Likes

I am now convinced; that actually is intentional. I did believe that was a field construction ‘fudge’, or perhaps an error in the construction documents.

However, it still looks awful. The same ‘smooth’ treatment on the surface could have been done; and would have looked better.

That point I realize is only a matter of ‘taste’ or opinion; and others may not agree. I would defer to the design judgement of the BIG experts.

Still ‘wish’ it was smooth… :wink:

I am here reminded of an old saying I once heard, somewhere - I find this aphorism quit poetic.
“If wishes were horses, dreamers would ride”

13 Likes