NEW YORK | New York Blood Center (310 East 67th St) | FT | 16 FLOORS

5 Likes

My old neighborhood.

The opposition to this project is absurd. This area is a disgusting hole filled with dilapidated, rent-regulated eyesores and depressing, white brick coops.I lived there for many years. This area is the nerve center for NY hospitals, and they need this facility.

These morons acts like they’re on Madison Ave.

2 Likes

Only five floors are for the blood center. The other eleven are for rental, presumably to help pay for the project. Don’t know if that is the basis for opposition or not.

1 Like

Good news for the Blood Center today!

3 Likes

Well, I am excited about this for a different reason; If this project is approved by city council, What’s preventing, as an instance, an affordable housing nonprofit who’s flush with cash and has already bagged several mid-block parcels, perhaps some historic brownstones that aren’t on the rolls, from combining the tax lots and building a 20-30 story tower-block chock full of apartments? That makes 2 projects that have been built, and it’s then a recurring trend at that point. What if the Ronald McDonald House wants to make some improvements and build themselves a major tower to house more people? Where does it stop? The answer is it doesn’t. Which is great for residential density in the area.

1 Like

Just some news re: the blood center. Looks like the council is receptive towards the project.

2 Likes

SIGHHHHHHHHHHHH
I have things I wanna say about the opposition to this, but I won’t.
Anyways it looks like it’s coming along nicely

2 Likes

Another article was written expressing similar sentiment.

3 Likes

This is the problem with modern metropolitan politics, especially pertaining to groups like these. “Oh, don’t build this large, modern tower and we won’t raise hell about nebulous concepts like context, human scale and preservation” Really? Is that the best you can come up with?

These people are nuts. I lived in this area for a long time. It is grimy and has a lot of tall buildings. This is not 5th Avenue and 86th St.

2 Likes

New York City Council Subcommittee Hearing for the Blood Center set to Wednesday, October 20 this week.

2 Likes

well this should be interesting

1 Like

Ben Kallos is… I want to say many things to this guy. I get so frustrated by these types who can’t comprehend doing anything without thinking 24/7 about the strict confines of the law. He is a cultural prude, man! They helped reduce the shadows by reducing the height by 50 feet, and he STILL acts with such disdain and arrogance towards what is an objectively good cause!

1 Like

Same thing here…

NIMBY’s gain success once again by having developers reduce the building height by almost 100 feet, absurd. Fight Erupts Over New York Blood Center’s Manhattan Building - The New York Times

Seems to me that the main opposition would be from the building directly west losing their views.

This area is crap. I lived there for many years. It’s not 5th, Madison, or Park.

This building is very important to NY’s hospitals and research industry. The opponents’ qualms are B.S.

1 Like
1 Like

The life sciences industry needs to seriously beef itself up in New York in terms of the amount of space it currently occupies. Also, the Upper East Side needs to seriously update its building stock to 21st century needs. Whether or not it’s in a midblock doesn’t matter. The conclusion, to quote a certain comic books villain, was inevitable.