NEW YORK | Midtown West Zoning

2 Likes

Does this board still exist? with the completion date 2021.

Google/Maps

2 Likes

I can go look when im around the area, even though it’s showing the old Girasole proposal it’s probably still up because DOB doesnt go and change the renders and diagrams once they are put on the fences.

3 Likes

„ The Midtown South Mixed-Use Plan (MSMX) will focus on Manhattan’s Midtown South manufacturing districts and strategies to foster a more vibrant, 24/7 mixed-use neighborhood. The study area is a job- and amenity-rich neighborhood where new housing is not permitted under today’s zoning rules.

The plan will explore:

• Introducing housing, including permanently affordable housing
  • Potential for office-to-residential conversions
  • Preservation of important commercial and light manufacturing uses
  • Investments in neighborhood improvements

Over the coming year, the Department of City Planning (NYC Planning) will work with the local community on a plan to ensure Midtown South’s future success.

Study Area Map

The study area covers roughly 42 blocks designated for manufacturing almost half a century ago. The general boundaries are West 40th Street to the north, West 23rd Street to the south, Fifth Avenue to the east, and Eighth Avenue to the west.“

4 Likes

Renderings of the roof garden in 2022. image via Tishman Speyer

1 Like
2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzT-tc8uwuv/?img_index=3

13 Likes

Only a concept

„ A natural extension of the innovation hub that Manhattan’s Hudson Yards continues to become, aesthetically this concept executes a modern interpretation of the classic New York City tower. Functionally, construction of the 11th Avenue BioTech Tower presents a new typology; fostering the vibrancy of a sprawling R&D campus within 37-stories and 650,000 vertical square feet of highly-flexible laboratory space.

The building’s composition presents three distinct volumes that each offer organizations unmatched recruiting and growth potential in a competitive urban market. Utilizing a concrete superstructure, the building’s side core configuration presents tenant floors with 44-foot clear span structural bays to accommodate typical 11-foot benching modules. Additionally, enhanced vibrational compliance allows complex facilities from vivariums to wet- and dry-labs to be strategically incorporated throughout.“

9 Likes

The ESC, Hudson Yards Phase Two and PABT

https://plus.newyorkyimby.com/

10 Likes

By the way, the first post showed they had plans for buildings between Manhattan west and PABT but behind Hudson yards, what happened to those?

Those were not plans by/for the city, they were just concepts/a study done by an architecture firm. They were never real proposals and nothing is currently planned in that area.

1 Like

Don’t know/can’t find specific address. Someone can update thread with address once found.

https://newyorkyimby.com/2023/12/proposal-revealed-for-the-worlds-tallest-life-science-facility-in-hudson-yards-manhattan.html

6 Likes

Could be 516 West 36th Street, unless there’s an actual address for the site already

A little off, this would be between 450 11th Ave and Lyra NYC on a currently empty/partially occupied series of lots (would probably be 460 11th Ave), but, this shouldnt have it’s own thread because it’s only a concept and study (which SGA does many of) @Mackensen had shared this concept on Nov 9th in the Midtown West thread.

I am surprised this was posted by Yimby under the heading of a proposal.

1 Like

I read at the beginning of November that this was just a concept/study. Therefore, I suggest that this topic be merged with the Midtown West Zoning Topic. I can 100% imagine that all the properties in this area have their own separate topic.

2 Likes

Hard to identify the location but it seems like it’s in… Javits Center?!

Blue: Hudson yards
Yellow: roads
Red: javits

2 Likes

Looks like it’s in the position where 450 11th Avenue is. My assumption is based upon the position of the 7 train ventilation building across the street from that proposal and in front of it is the Javits Center. That lot is currently half-occupied by 450 11th Avenue. A comment on the NY Yimby Article also points out this assumption as well.

The first rendering shows it between 37th and 38th Street on 11th Ave, although the second shot looks more like 450 11th Ave where the Aloft Hotel is currently being built.

5 Likes

Dont follow the renders, they place the building incorrectly.

3 Likes

If what You said is true I would get so mad if they got rid of the Hudson rise hotel, it’s my favorite design in Hudson yards, too Bad it’s been on a development Rocky Road for most of the past decade although all the articles said was that it is on 9th street and i couldn’t find them saying it’s between 450 11th and lyra outside of one render, talking about renders i Made some to see where this actually is:

3 Likes

The Hudson Rise hotel proposal by Kuafu Properties is most likely dead at this point, but it “was” located along the 11th Ave frontage between 37th and 38th St, which “would” be the same location as the concept/study by SGA, but as previously mentioned, it is only a study, it is not a real proposal in the sense that it is going forward. It was conceptualized in the same location. Kuafu Properties still owns the corner lot along 38th St though as of last year.

I would refer to this map I made last year in regards to any developments going on in the area, there has not been any changes to ownership or status of the lots since then.

5 Likes