NYC Underground

I want a general thread for all things NYC underground. Whether that be transit related or otherwise. I’m gonna go through current or proposed projects on the forum, see if they have something of the sort (subways connection, underground walking connection, train hall, etc.) and then repost them to this forum.

6 Likes

The recent Penn Station announcement. Governor Hochul Unveils Commuter-First Vision for Penn Station and Revitalized Surrounding Neighborhood | Governor Kathy Hochul
Specifically stuff about underground.
-Creates underground loading/unloading for MSG, taking trucks off the street. (though the renderings shows a semi near the entrace?)

New, World-Class Train Facility (some parts of this may be above ground)
-Creates a single level, double-height train hall that doubles passenger circulation space on the new public level from approximately 123,000 square feet to approximately 250,000 square feet and eliminates the congested, cramped and crowded passageways in existing Penn Station.
-Includes a 450-foot long sunlit train hall that is the size of Moynihan’s and Grand Central’s halls combined
-Simplifies navigation
-Creates clear sight lines to exits and entrances
Adds 18 more escalators or stairs and 11 more elevators to platforms

-Expands new underground corridors to the Sixth Avenue IND line, allowing users of the 34th Street Herald Square Station (B, F, M, N, R, W lines) seamless access to Penn Station
-Nearly doubles the existing entrances to Penn Station from 12 to 20, and requires developers to add additional subway entrances and exits directly to and from buildings, ultimately reducing density and congestion at over-crowded entrances

1 Like

175 Park Avenue
175 Park Avenue is also planned to include major renovations to the subterranean Grand Central subway station that include the following: the removal of several large steel girders to enhance circulation efficiency to the subway platforms, replaced by new structural members on the perimeter of the lot and around the station; relocated subway turnstiles from the mezzanine level to the train hall at street level; a 12,000-square-foot below-grade passageway linking the East Side Access Terminal’s Long Island Railroad tracks under Kohn Pedersen Fox’s One Vanderbilt and the Metro-North platforms to the subway mezzanine floor; and 5,400 square feet of new space to the 42nd Street Passage with new signage, train arrival boards, and ticket machines.

The converging steel columns will fan outward from two pairs of massive foundation blocks that transfer the immense loads of the building to the ground.

Above ground will be a 22,000-square-foot wrap-around public outdoor space above the sidewalks that will also connect to the abutting Park Avenue Viaduct, as well as a reflecting pool, public seating spaces, two cafes, outdoor art pieces, and two ADA-compliant elevators connecting from the street to the subways

The sheer height and scale of 175 Park Avenue is made possible thanks to 620,000 square feet of transferable air rights coming from Grand Central Terminal and 770,000 square feet of bonus floor area for the upcoming subway improvements

3 Likes

343 Madison Avenue.

According to a drafted Environmental Impact Statement released this summer, the building will also offer pedestrian access to Grand Central Terminal and the LIRR East Side Access concourse, currently in the works.

3 Likes

415 Madison Ave.

Of the 343,100 square feet, an estimated 323,500 square feet would be above grade and approximately 19,600 square feet below grade space to be used for a Long island Rail Road (LIRR) concourse as part of the East Side Access project, which will connect the LIRR to Grand Central Terminal and a passageway to the Metro-North Railroad (MNR) lines. According to an agreement with the MTA, the developer must also construct an entrance leading to the below-grade LIRR concourse and MNR passageway on the ground floor of the Proposed Development along East 48th Street.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Not part of this article, but pics of the entrances.

3 Likes

About to go do something. Anyone that wants to add is welcome! Especially for lesser known things.

2 Likes

Okay I’m back. Here’s one of the bigger projects. Due around October next year. Info is a bit old now, but whatevs.

3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

The new passageways under 175 Park. I couldn’t find these pics earlier but here they are.

Before

After

Before

After

also 175’s renderings paint GC in a such good light. lol I hope as part of this development GC is getting a good wash and façade cleanup. It’s not super dirty like some things around, but still could use the cleanup.

7 Likes

Was just going through random feeds looking at info about ESA (most of which I already knew because I like to keep track of these things) and found this interesting article

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

This $6M Brooklyn Heights house has historic interiors and a ‘secret’ subway tunnel next door | 6sqft
Next door at number 58 is one of 6sqft’s previously featured “underground and secret NYC attractions,” in the form of a concealed New York City subway vent.

1 Like

From 570 fifth ave:

4 Likes

Both of these for Penn 15 which should have amazing underground connections, hopefully rivaling the quality of 1 Vanderbilts connections

Unfortunately couldn’t seem to find renderings of any such connections (like there are for 1 Vandy and 175 Park) don’t know if that’s just me or if they just don’t exist.

6 Likes