NEW YORK | Empire Station Complex | 8 Towers | 748-1300 FT

I really don’t know why they didn’t try to get over by Hudson Yards when they had the chance. You would have gotten all the parties on board for that spot, including Dolan. It would have been built and open by now. Or where 1 and 2 Manhattan West are now. Could have walked right from Penn Station through Moynihan and straight into the arena. New Arena is the same spot essentially and a new Penn Station. Lost opportunity.

1 Like

In the interest of saving @mcart some time, I will respond.

Because that was literally creating a brand new segment to Midtown from scratch. You can’t blame existing venues for trying to ride the storm out a bit.

Evidently not. I really don’t think either Gov. Hochul or Mayor Adams are doing a good job of selling these changes to the broader public.

No it wouldn’t. As evidenced by actual reality. And don’t even get me started on the BS proposals at DeWitt Clinton Park or Herald Square, those either intrude on rather historical areas of the city, or push the problem off to the side, using a rather nasty “out of sight, out of mind” mentality. Until you’ve got a better idea that doesn’t take one of a few extremes, let’s see how things settle.

Literally proving the point that MSG and Penn Station is a total CMF to figure out, as the layers have become so inextricably linked over the years. What makes Manhattan West any different?

You’ve also got the actual 9th Avenue. As in, one of the busiest thoroughfares in the entire city. And a terrorist plot just waiting to happen if you go with a flashy skybridge to connect.

Or it’s just the fact that the whole area is going through a hell of a lot of changes, and MSG moving to Hudson Yards then would have perhaps overwhelmed the area in terms of changes going on. 10-15 continuous city blocks of uninterrupted change as a matter of fact. Maybe now’s the time, or maybe it isn’t. What we know for certain is that this area does need a few years to sort of settle in and process some of the changes it’s been through.

1 Like

I have to agree with @seichorn that, most likely, MSG will stay. Replacing it would cost many billions of dollars, and it would be a logistical nightmare to handle the millions of Penn Station passengers that would be displaced for months or years during a teardown of MSG.

With that said, I very much like the idea of redeveloping that whole area including MSG. I agree with the points everyone is making about moving it. MSG has a history of moving, four times in fact, and most notably replacing the original and beautiful Penn Station. Moving MSG to instead prioritize the busiest station in North America wouldn’t be such a bad idea.

Reclad MSG. Problem solved.

Thank you for supporting my main point. MSG stays where it is. Why. Because all the other ideas and obstacles make it so. MSG moving outside Midtown is a deal breaker. Never going to happen. So then you weigh out where it could go and the plusses and minuses of such a move, then you have the costs, not to mention the disruptions of a total rebuild of Penn Station while still functioning as, well, Penn Station.
Anyhow, just saying it is never going to the Bronx or Queens. It will stay at the center of the universe, which is Midtown Manhattan.

@seichorn I’ve got UBS Arena, Barclays Center and Yankee Stadium to boast as proper outer-boroughs sports facilities. CITI field sucks because the mets do, and I say that as a mets fan.

I think one of the best things the city has done is getting a bunch of LIRR lines at Grand Central. So huge imo. Alleviates pressure on Penn but also makes Grand Central THE transportation hub for New York City. Although, Grand Central is slightly more of pain getting to JH and the Q70 to LGA . Penn is easier.

Hey, the Mets are okay this year! ::Lucy cues up the football for Charlie Brown::

Man, that Barclays sits empty for 80% of the year, doesn’t it.

Honestly, I’d like for MSG to stay where it is too. That arena is arguably the most famous in NYC and gets tons of visitors each year for games and concerts. To move the whole arena would be almost near impossible to accomplish without demolishing a lot of existing structures and improving the infrastructure in the surrounding area. MSG being in midtown and near so many train lines just gives people easy access to travel there from all the burroughs. Even from Long Island and Westchester County. I’d rather them reclad the arena and improve on it than demolish it and try to move it somewhere else.

2 Likes

The Mets and Yankees are the only two teams in the MLB that are over 40 wins. Both YANKEE and Mets fans can rejoice now!

FWIW, I’m team Move-MSG.

But since that doesn’t seem to be happening, the least they could do is remove the theater under the arena, enabling high ceilings a la:

13 Likes

In my perfect world, MSG would be built along the Hudson river on some of the piers with a light rail running from Penn to the arena. Since that’s a pipe dream, MSG should either be rebuilt in place or at the very minimum a modern reclad.

4 Likes

This looks like the most realistic solution that doesn’t involve moving MSG. It also depicts a recladding of MSG which is sorely needed. MSG is absolutely gross looking and outdated in its current form.

Removing the theatre would permit the construction of a grand entrance into the station while leaving MSG in place. Best of both worlds and a realistic and attainable solution.

I still wish MSG could be moved but that won’t ever happen anytime soon.

5 Likes

This isn’t about people who go to MSG, its about ALL the people who don’t.

3 Likes

The logical place to move MSG is Sunnyside Yards. Bloomberg tried to get a stadium built on Hudson Yards but failed and settled for the towers.

5 Likes

HY is way better for the area than that stadium ever would have been. Though I still want the Olympics to come to NYC.

1 Like

You know you can say that about anything, right? MSG in midtown is part of what makes midtown midtown. Doesn’t matter if it’s moved 5 blocks. But that is costly for little gain. Moving it to one of the other boroughs is a non starter, for all the reasons stated. Like people said above, they can remove the theater, reclad it, integrate into the redevelopment of the area. It will look great.

1 Like

In all honesty MSG would lose its appeal and mystique if it were to be moved to the Bronx or Queens and the Dolans know that, which is why they will never agree to moving out of Manhattan. When visitors come for a basketball game or whatever show, they know they’re traveling into the heart of NYC at a world famous arena. It’s part of the appeal.
MSG is not going anywhere, my hope is they at the very least do something with that godawful exterior.

1 Like

Hahahahahaha

6 Likes

I don’t see any scenario where MSG is moved out of Manhattan. To move it to any other borough would be ridiculous. The Bronx already has Yankee Stadium and could possibly get NYCFC stadium. Queens has Citi Field and the Tennis complex and Brooklyn has Barclays Center. Staten Island is out of the question because I’m pretty sure no one would be willing to travel all the way there for a game or concert.