NEW YORK | Empire Station Complex | 8 Towers | 748-1300 FT

In my opinion, it is fine right where it is because it is in Midtown Manhattan. Midtown is basically the epicenter of the metro area and it’s accessible from every borough and county in the neighborhood. I’m pretty sure people in Brooklyn don’t want to double their commute time just so they can catch the Rangers playing in the Bronx. The best they can do is renovate the exterior and make the place presentable and grand.

1 Like

All of these arguments are why I cannot understand why the CB5/Chakrabarti proposal hasn’t gained more traction. It would arguably move MSG to an even better location than where it is now.

This site would still abut Penn Station and add direct access to the PATH, and B/D/F/M and N/Q/R/W subways, while fronting on iconic Herald Square and Midtown’s main thoroughfare 34th street. Why wouldn’t the Dolans be interested in this, if all the stakeholders could be brought into alignment?

8 Likes

No, places like Grand Central Station are what makes the city.

Not places like MSG. Nobody goes to the city just for MSG. Its just a sports stadium at the end of the day, an ugly one. Don’t let nostalgia cloud your judgment. MSG should have never been built in the first place.

3 Likes

Pretty sure all of the non sports fans (aka the majority of people) don’t want to have an ugly, cramped, outdated dated stadium hovering over them every day they commute to the city.

This isn’t about sports, its about quality of life for commuters.

3 Likes

Dude, the old Penn is gone. You are arguing for something that doesn’t exist and want to repeat the same mistake and tear down something down that now has its own history. I get it, MSG means nothing g to you.

Anyhow, it’s not getting torn down for a fantasy new Grand Central. Move on.

4 Likes

Repeat the same mistake?

That is a joke right?

You are not consciously comparing the original Penn Station to MSG as if they’re in the same league are you?

3 Likes

The original Penn is gone. They are not moving MSG. Both these things are facts. Better off putting your energy into making the Penn redevelopment incorporating MSG better instead of carrying on about moving MSG to the Bronx or Queens or wherever. I’ve already stated that I have no problem building a new MSG somewhere near the current one. The powers that be have decided that those costs would far outweigh the benefits. But I guess you can keep pounding this idea of moving MSG to The Bronx if you want. You are wasting your time.

3 Likes

I guess if it were recladded it’d look nice, and the new towers will compliment it nicely.

Speaking of towers, I wonder if one of them will be at least 1200ft high besides 15 Penn Plaza

1 Like

Unfortunately the Penn Station towers will probably not be a new HY, besides Penn 15

Though I imagine once they’re built, it will be easier to get taller towers through.

1 Like

Darn, that sucks. I thought it was also part of the Penn Station redevelopment unless it’s for phase 2 or later.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong. We might see like 2 1,000 fters. And the rest will range around 700. (Just a guess from what we’ve seen, I don’t have any inside knowledge)

It’s still a massive developement. Just don’t expect 10 + supertalls. Though that would be awesome

1 Like

Ah, that’s good. At least around 700ft is still pretty high for a skyscraper, especially when viewed in person.

1 Like

Major missed opportunity as far as I am concerned. Would have loved to see Penn Station get a better treatment, but I guess it’s going to be fine for the next 60 years.

2 Likes

Please explain how cramming people under a horrible sports stadium, in one of the busiest transit stations in the world, just so sports fans don’t have to travel farther for games makes any sports of sense.

Do you think the needs of hundreds of thousands of daly commuters experience should be sacrificed so that sports fans don’t have to travel to the Bronx? You have zero logic. Look around the world man, if you want a world class city you need a world class transit hub.

1 Like

If there’s no real need or preference for a major skyscraper on the West Side right now, I guess I will be fine with some 700-1000 foot infill high-rises.

2 Likes

You seem very upset about this

I just don’t see it the way you do. I think it will look great when they are all done with this redevelopment. You make it sound like we don’t have a world class transportation hub. We do. It’s called Grand Central. The new Penn will look just fine imo.

Are these two buildings in the photo conceptual or part of the PENN 15 plan?

1 Like

Conceptual. The only building with any defined metrics and is actually going through right now is Penn 15.

Though if that’s what Vornado thinks they’re going to be around I can eyeball it.

Penn is supposed to be around 1,270 ft last I heard.

From these concepts I’d say one of them is around 1,100 to 1,150 ft.

While the other is around 1,000 to 1,050 ft.

Again eyeballing it, these are conceptual and by now they’re pretty old renderings so I have no idea if that’s where Vornado wants them or how they’re going to split up the sqft now that it was cut a little bit.

1 Like

I’d say make the future towers in the 500-700 foot range. I don’t want anything super tall near the ESB like most people

1 Like

That ship sailed. Both in this project, and several other developments.