NEW YORK | Empire Station Complex | 8 Towers | 748-1300 FT

Adams is on board with Hochul for the redevelopment.

5 Likes

Hopefully he wants towers as well.

1 Like

Lol, one of the only reasons why I like him is because he supports skyscrapers since he mentioned them during the One Vanderbilt ceremony. :sweat_smile:

Per NYguy:
More meetings to discuss meetings of future meetings about the meetings…

https://esd.ny.gov/esd-media-center/…n-neighborhood

Empire State Development Launches Series of Meetings with Community and Non-Profit Partners to Evaluate Economic and Social Conditions in Penn Station Neighborhood
Meetings Are Part of ESD’s Multi-Year Outreach And Feedback Effort Informing Governor Hochul’s Revitalization of Penn Station Area

February 25, 2022

Quote:

Empire State Development announced a series of issue-based working sessions to understand the current social and economic issues impacting the neighborhood surrounding Penn Station, and identify innovative approaches to tackle these challenges. The meetings, which began yesterday following an initial kick-off session held in January, will continue over the next two months and are being organized in partnership with State Senator Brad Hoylman. The sessions feature facilitated discussions attended by leading non-profit organizations with specific expertise in the topics being addressed, and are part of Governor Hochul’s commitment to identifying targeted approaches to homelessness and addiction as part of the Penn Station Area redevelopment.

Governor Hochul last November unveiled her vision for a new commuter-first world-class Penn Station and revitalized surrounding neighborhood that reflects the community’s needs and focuses on public transit and public realm improvements. The plan prioritizes the reconstruction of the existing station while the station expansion and the Gateway Project initiatives continue.

The neighborhood plan has been informed by ESD’s two-year community engagement and collaboration process, which included more than 100 meetings with local stakeholders, government agencies, and elected officials to improve on past plans and establish a new way forward. For comprehensive information on ESD’s work to date, please visit the Penn Station Area Civic and Land Use Improvement Project webpage.

In addition, Governor Hochul has committed to establishing a station advisory group focused on her vision for a new commuter-first world-class Penn Station. This advisory group will be convened in the coming months as design work resumes.

Quote:

Meeting Schedule

Feb 24: Active Service Providers Meeting 1

Attendees: Breaking Ground, BRC, Urban Pathways, Goddard Riverside
Agenda: Near-term priority projects

March 3: Advocates Meeting 1

Attendees: MCC, Fountain House, CSS, Coalition for the Homeless

March 10: Health Meeting 1

Attendees: Ryan Health, CUCS/Janian, Housing Works, GMHC, MHANY

March 17: Social Service Meeting 1

Attendees: DPA, Center for Court Innovation, NY Harm Reduction Coalition, Housing Works

March 24: Active Service Providers Meeting 2

Attendees: Breaking Ground, BRC, Urban Pathways, Goddard Riverside
Agenda: Long-term projects needing investment

March 31: Advocates Meeting 2

Attendees: MCC, Fountain House, CSS, Coalition for the Homeless

April 7: Health Meeting 2

Attendees: Ryan Health, CUCS/Janian, Housing Works, GMHC, MHANY

April 14: Social Service Meeting 2

Attendees: DPA, Center for Court Innovation, NY Harm Reduction Coalition, Housing Works

April 21: Roundtable Review

Present assessments developed in small groups

4 Likes

Site 6

This would be the location for the next supertall (around 1100 feet) in the Penn District.

Emporis Street Map

https://www.emporis.de/buildings/map#c=40.75091,-73.990436&z=20

Penn District. Rendering by DBOX.

5 Likes

Or rezone it for something on the level of a 1,500-footer and go cray!

1 Like

Yes while I can understand why some people are sad about the Hotel Penn getting torn down, there is definitely no loss with this site. Good riddance

4 Likes

Per NYguy:

Vornado Realty Trust (VNO) Q1 2022 Earnings Call Transcript

By Motley Fool Transcribing
May 3, 2022

Quote:

Daniel Ismail – Green Street Advisors – Analyst

Just a last question for me on Penn District and [Inaudible] There’s been a variety of news articles going back and forth about the potential additional density there and the state versus the cities plans.

I’m just curious, can you give us an overall update as to what’s going on with any potential rezoning and any potential time line on that as well?

Steven Roth – Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Yes. I think we’ll stand pat on that. I mean, this is a – basically, the City of New York and the State of New York are partners and government. The MTA and the transit is basically a state asset, the capital plan that will be expended and Penn Station is basically state capital.

So it makes lots of sense and there’s multiple, multiple historic precedents for this for the state to be in – I’m going to use the word in charge, that’s really not an accurate word, of the zoning and the development process. The city and the state are cooperating on that. There’s been extensive public hearings on the plan and the proposal. The political leadership in terms of the governor and the mayor have both endorsed the plan.

And I think that’s about all that I have to say about it. Obviously, we support it.

1 Like
4 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

For the love of god can we please move Madison Square Garden somewhere else. Why on earth is that dumb building still around when literally every other stadium from the era has already been demolished.

5 Likes

MSG should be by Yankee Stadium. It’s convenient to the whole Tri-state. Tons of people after work take the subway to Yankee Stadium.

7 Likes

Please DEMO MSG

4 Likes

No way. Do you know how many people take the LIRR to MSG for games and concerts. Putting it in the Bronx is the worst idea ever imo. It will stay where it is. They prob had a chance to get a venue over by Hudson Yards, but that train has left the station. (Excuse the pun).

Not really. The LIRR now runs to GCT and even for those lines that don’t, they can transfer at Jamaica to the 7.

Well ignoring the fact that MSG isn’t being moved at all so this convo is kinda moot, more people use the station daily than fans use MSG in a month. It would be better to move it to the Bronx than leave it where it is. Really the entire thing should be torn down regardless of where it goes, its capacity is pathetic for the site it occupies and the entire thing is outdated.
But as we’re just talking hypothetical, we could always move it somewhere in Brooklyn or Queens.

2 Likes

No, MSG being moved to the Bronx is just nuts. So is moving it to Queens or Brooklyn. Just so that can put up a few more super towers? They are going to redevelop around MSG and it is going to look great with a major entertainment venue smack in the middle. I could go with moving it somewhere closer to the East River or the Hudson, but why. Anyhow, it needs to be in Midtown or Midtown ish. The spot it is in is part of the magic. And history. We don’t need another Barclay’s in The Bronx --ugh.

2 Likes

Why exactly?

No.

It’s going to be lipstick on a pig.

Really a middleish sized entertainment venue in the grand scheme of things, but regardless of how big it is it’s inhibiting the redevelopment of the far more important station underneath it.

No, it really doesn’t “need” to be there.

Yes, the magic. I’m sure that’s how the commuters feel about going into that hellhole.

History? How far back are we talking now?

4 Likes

That’s fine. We can agree to disagree. And I disagree on every single one of your points. The Bronx? Seriously? Either way, MSG stays, as it should. It is staying there because all the other ideas are are worse. Billy Joel says MSG stays. :slight_smile: