NEW YORK | 27-48 Jackson Ave | 811 FT | 68 FLOORS (New tallest; Queens)

16 Likes

Nice shot with 57th St in the background. :+1:

2 Likes

14 Likes

Yup. Tallest building in Denver is 717 feet and this is a pretty major city. The airport does 70 million passengers a year.

1 Like

Pics by Michael Young

13 Likes

The construction crane for this building is literally inside the building. How does that work? How do they take it down?

2 Likes

That a good observation, this is a self jacking crane so only a portion of its “height” is inside of the building (though there are some instances where the crane rises inside the building from the ground floor all the way up), maybe about 15 floors down at the max (in this instance) before it jumps itself.

Typically when the main crane is no longer needed, a derrick crane will be assembled on the roof to disassemble the main crane and the void left behind will be built out. Once the derrick crane is no longer needed the BMU (building maintenance unit) normally disassembles the derrick crane.

7 Likes

I too wondered how that worked. Thanks for explaining.

Thanks for that! I’ve been able to look down on the construction site since it started (well not anymore!), and the crane has always been inside the building. Very different from all the other cranes around here that are always outside the building frame.

3 Likes

Action from the bus stop today

22 Likes

The facade is anything special but so glad its darker and not blue… Sort of breaks the monotony of blue glass on that stretch of Jackson Avenue

8 Likes

It’s nothing spectacular facade or design-wise but I do love the height here. It’s interesting because major development has happened (or rather was planned) along a triangle of streets: Jackson Ave, 23rd Street and Queens/boro Plaza. This makes LIC have a nice dimensional skyline from any angle (and awesome to photograph).

With this tower, SVEN, and Skyline Tower, we’re getting our tallest buildings in Queens. And we continue to get a steady “infill” of 300-500 foot towers throughout other parts of LIC and Hunters Point.

I’m still waiting for the borough’s signature tower, one that is both tall and memorable. Skyline Tower unfortunately doesn’t fit that bill for the latter requirement for me. That said, I moved back to the city in 2014 and watching LIC explode over the past decade has been such a crazy and rewarding experience as a skyscraper fan.

10 Likes

From today:

The middle height tower of Jackson Park (directly across on Orchard Street) is 504’. Closing in on that. Still a lot to go.

20 Likes

Taken 01/12:2024

20 Likes

From 12.15.23:

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

From 12.16.23

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

From 12.22.23

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

13 Likes

14 Likes

I hope the crown lights up at night if it’s going to take the tallest title. Join Sven and Skyline Tower.

2 Likes

From 1.22.24:

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Facade:

Imgur

14 Likes

I will never understand the argument about “glass boxes”. Photos two and three show blocky glass towers, but look at that stunning reflection!

6 Likes

Source: January 31, 2024 - Highbury Concrete

Source: February 2, 2024 - Highbury Concrete

12 Likes