NEW YORK | 262 Fifth Ave | 860 FT | 60 FLOORS

I wonder if the aluminum facade will have materials like Lloyd’s of London’s.

3 Likes

Interesting precedent to use, but I’d say yes that’s very likely if not more polished/reflective.

1 Like

You know building materials better than I do. I didn’t think that aluminum could get more reflective than Lloyd’s. Maybe this will look ok after all.

Isn’t aluminum going to get discolored and streaky over time?

The N-S views look fine. I just can’t really envision the East facade.

2 Likes

Aluminum can be turned into a mirror if it has an adequate polish level, but for typical building applications, Aluminum is just never polished to that extent and remains at that kind of “blurred” reflection and other materials are used at that point to achieve higher reflectivity levels, like stainless steel and zinc cladding.

If the aluminum isn’t maintained well or cleaned regularly, yeah it probably will get pollution streaks unfortunately.

2 Likes

It seems that it will be blurry based upon the image of the east facade. That seems like it will look strange. As per Asia…

1 Like

It could certainly appear like that, but depending on the shade of aluminum used, it may reflect most of the sky’s colors and just fade away. While the 5th Ave facing side has interruptions from the windows and spandrel pauses, the 3 sides of the core on the opposite side will be completely straight from top to bottom aluminum with no interruptions.

1 Like

I hope that Van Barton comes up with a good design for its 29th St project. I think they’ve retained KPF.

Yep, if nothing has changed, KPF is still the new Architect for the project, so we can be ensured that the building won’t be dull.

2 Likes

Posted before in this thread; but worth another look. I am quite a fan of this project.

Quote: The idea that implicitly moves the project is aeronautics, putting people on viewing platforms – “shelves” in the air,

The concept of each floor plate being a ‘shelf’ attached to a supporting structural core is brilliant. The usual structure for elevator core & egress stairs also serve here as the “backbone” support for the floor plates: so now you have an entire floor with no structural beams or load bearing walls.

ON each side are floor-to-ceiling glass: a entire floor clear of support columns or load bearing walls. That is my basic understanding of this drawing; and the concept seems brilliant.

I’d go as far to say that it’s usual for skyscrapers built of concrete to not have beams (atleast not visible ones), I’d also say no interior columns/ column free plates is quite typical now as well. But this structural concept is nothing new. It’s been employed in a number of other builds, the most recent that comes to mind being 111 W 57th St. The core isn’t really supporting the floors at all, it’s more stabilizing the building from lateral forces.

This building only has unobstructed views on its north and south sides though, not each side, because there are two load bearing shear walls on the other 2 sides. And there is that off centered column on the north face and may very well be one once the south face begins construction.

This will be an amazing landmark if that side is like the Lloyd’s building in London!

2 Likes

I agree, Lion. This might turn out great

2 Likes

My only concern at this point is the ‘shiny’ metal facade: looks a bit tacky, and will not weather well. I am thinking of those famous 666 fifth avenue, aluminum panels with the diamond pattern - somthing like that. more ‘dull’ looking finish. The engineering, is brilliant - but the esthetics needs a bit of tweeking.

I really like that “book shelf” concept - with a spine/backbone supporting each floor. Check out the text portion of the post for a better description. NEW YORK | 262 Fifth Ave | 860 FT | 60 FLOORS - #435 by infoshare Read the entire text: here is a snippet -
Quote from the Architects: The idea that implicitly moves the project is aeronautics, putting people on viewing platforms – “shelves” in the air, from which the city is seen. As we move upwards, reaching 1,001 feet, we are moving vertically into space. The spatial scheme attaches floors to a backbone, which maintains and sustains the modules. The floors are structurally supported by the core and two walls, stretching parallel to Fifth Avenue, along the long axis of the Island. …MORE

Here is a photo of the 666 fifth facade - this general type material would weather well, and look better IMHO>

I miss that aluminum facade

2 Likes

There was a hotel in Chicago called Executive Plaza. I can’t find a photo of the original facade but it was stainless steel and by the 1970’s it looked awful. Since resheathed it is now called Hotel 71.

1 Like

It aged quite well. When they took it down it was still in great condition. I would have liked to own one of those panels to hang the wall for decoration.

1 Like

Im just standing here looking at this thing and it’s just so narrow and while it does have a smaller foot print than 111 W 57th St though shorter in height, this one just stands out more because its not bound by other buildings and is on the corner.

The highest floor their working on should have the 3rd porthole window.

16 Likes

does anyone have a render comparing the original height and the new height cut that was performed?

I made one several months back buts its just of a massing. The tower is technically 2 crown heights shorter if comparing the new height with the old one.

1 Like

Is it the angle or is the first porthole off center?