NEW YORK | 14 Fifth Ave | 241 FT | 19 FLOORS

Another great scoop by Yimby!

This stretch of Fifth is stunning but for the filthy, tumor located at 14 Fifth Avenue. I’ve always hated that building. Not only are there plans to redevelop it, but the plan includes an ABSOLUTELY STUNNING tower by Stern.

7 Likes

Lovely!!

1 Like

ALERT: Andrew Berman, the very nasty control freak who runs the Greenwich Village’s main NIMBY group, is gearing up to unleash the NIMBY hordes on the Landmarks Preservation Commission at the hearing for this project. Anyone who is in favor of this should show up to the LPC meetings to counter him. Stay tuned on this thread for info on the meetings.

This guy stole YIMBY’s scoop and ran it on his own blog without attribution, including the exclusive pictures YIMBY obtained. And he’s making posters taking the pics out of context to scare people into opposing this project.

10 Likes

This was inevitable. When preservationists wanted to save the beautiful little building on 5th and 32nd, they were shot down.

The shmuck “So Low” will raze four STUNNING buildings on 57th with carte blanche and replace them with a lame glass box.

The putzes at Trinity Church razed a gorgeous old building to replace it with a lame glass box.

Ziel Friedman razed that gorgeous building on W 29th with impunity.

These guys want to replace a heinous eyesore with something amazing, and they get opposed!!

This is the same moronic thinking that wasted our chance of getting Amazon. Chicago, Philly, Atl., etc offer billions in incentives, and we offer nothing!

6 Likes

7 Likes

I hope that this POS gets redeveloped. Stern’s proposal is stunning.

P.S.: My Amazon prediction was flat wrong though!

1 Like

if a 360 footer can rise in DUMBO, they might actually be able to get it done here. No news recently though, which doesn’t bode well.

1 Like

The heinous POS currently there is the only eyesore on this otherwise stunning portion of 5th.

I don’t know what’s rising here, but I’m glad that those two little garbage buildings will be razed. They’re among the few eyesores in this gorgeous area.

That article is all over the place. It says this building will be by Madison Square Park, but the address is obviously far south of the park. And the quote from the developer is about how they’re looking forward to working with the people of Greenwich Village. Plenty of chances to take a hint.

Anyway, you get a good idea what’s coming. 21 floors but only 18 units. This will be mansions. Maybe not the Stern design, but something extremely expensive.

1 Like

I agree. The article is poorly written. The photo also shows beautiful old buildings on Fifth across from Madison Square, which, fortunately, are not the site.

This is what happens when humans are not involved with journalism. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I sincerely hope that Berman doesn’t block this project. These eyesores are hideous.

looks great, but the 2019 design looks better.

5 Likes

Much prefer this new version myself. It’s more Candela-esque, which is always a good thing in my book.

I preferred the earlier versions, but this is still stunning. I want the sole eyesore on this stunning stretch razed ASAP.

The Palladian temple in the sky would have had nice synergy with the Washington Square arch, also the piercing spire of 1 5th ave.

In any case, this is a beautiful proposal. It’ll get killed by Village nimbys.

3 Likes

Approved by a narrow 6-5 vote with alterations and height reduction:

5 Likes

1 Like

Not a big RAMSA fan but I quite liked the first design with the crown inspired by Lutyens’ Tower Hill War Memorial. I’m sorry the NIMBYs killed that version. This approved version will be a nice fit for this site, though.

5 Likes