NEW YORK | 212 West 93rd Street | 169 FT | 14 FLOORS

this old synagogue has (soon to be had) a nice facade, Its a shame that the landmarks commission didn’t recognize it.

[quote][…]
Some community members had called on the Landmarks Preservation Commission to consider landmarking the synagogue’s building, but the agency determined in October that the structure didn’t “rise to the level of an individual landmark,” according to a letter filed with the court.
[…][/quote]

1 Like

Yeah this is a loss. I doubt what will rise will be worth it. Unless its absolutely magnificent, but thats unlikely.

This one looked good. Shame the lpc didnt think it was worth saving.

Looks like they have some demo scaffolding up ( although not sure how long these have been up for?)

2 Likes

The LPC are worthless. They let gems get demolished routinely.

3 Likes

I walk by this building a few times every day. The scaffold is new; maybe a couple weeks old. Right now, I believe that homeless people have been sleeping inside of it. Honestly, I’ve seen very little demo/construction workers around there so I’d bet this is gonna be one of those way-too-long developments. The block it’s on is pretty nasty; I’m not sure how they’ll even sell those condos considering there are much better options on the UWS.

1 Like

replaced by another blocky ODA monstrosity. Sad.

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/market-insight/features/future-nyc/212-west-93rd-street-new-oda-designed-condo-begins-construction-after-securing-40m-loan/19004

3 Likes
4 Likes

Today

1 Like

An address like 212 on the UWS should have been a classic NYC building. ODA’s tetris schtick is getting tiresome:

But if I were a neighbor with the lot line windows I’d be their biggest fans.

10 Likes

I love it

3 Likes

The design is quite nice, but the finished product will Probably be trash. I have seen this construction site many times and it is very cheaply constructed.

1 Like

Tired of these child’s blocks building.

2 Likes

I’m much more tired of all glass facades!

4 Likes

Other than the BS greenery and robust looking hedges - which never look anything like the rendering - this Architectural Design is “something special”. Those traditional buildings designs, or historical recreations, are all ‘generic’ Architecture in my judgment. I prefer ‘modernist’ architecture: this is modernist and something special. Glad ODA went with what they do best, and the ‘function’ of those cubes for shading, terraces, views on larges windows; is a Form-follows-function winning design solution. Those RAM traditional/contextual building are nice: this is better.

1 Like

Looks like a piece of junk. Almost topped out though. The windows look like washed out mirrors.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Yesterday

8 Likes
3 Likes