NEW YORK | 15 Beekman St (126-132 Nassau St) | 338 FT | 27 FLOORS

The college acquired a 30-year leasehold condominium for the entire 215,000-square-foot development at 126-132 Nassau Street, which will be known as 15 Beekman Street, to add classrooms, dorms, a library, a dining facility and a learning center to its downtown campus, according to Newmark Knight Frank, which represented Pace in the deal.

On Monday, SL Green announced that it entered into a 99-ground lease for 126-132 Nassau Street with plans to demolish the existing 98,412-square-foot office building on the site and build a new as-of-right tower. The developer said it already secured a tenant for the entire property, but did not say who it was.

7 Likes

If this development includes the taller Vanderbilt building I am not happy. If it’s just the short building though, eh I should still prepare for the worst as it’s Pace.

2 Likes

I strongly suspect it does include the 14-floor building on Beekman. The two buildings are joined, legally. And the shorter building on the corner isn’t big enough to be 98,000 sqft.

3 Likes

Yikes. Apparently that annex tower dates back to 1893, and it’s also adjacent to a beautiful orange building that was threatened by another dull development, and a parking garage that probably won’t go anywhere.

8 Likes

I found this page on Pace’s website discussing plans to remove One Pace Plaza East once their building on Nassau is done. (No idea if they’re referring to this site, or if this is just old news I’m just catching onto)
https://www.pace.edu/master-plan-nyc

2 Likes

Yimby had reported that Pace planned to renovate this fetid POS. I hope that it will be razed, but I guess not.

Not only is the current building hideous, but it adds insult to injury that this gorgeous gem was razed.

6 Likes

The second phase of the Pace long-term plan is to replace the west structure.

So it will be gone, one day.

The east structure is being sold to a private developer for a new residential tower, which will help fund university projects.

2 Likes

I assume that we’re stuck with the west structure for a while though since they’re renovating it. Unfortunately, that’s the part of this horrible campus that most of us are forced to look at. Even Odysseus would not have had the temerity to look at it.

1 Like

I long for a day where we could have the Tribune Building back. Imagine that.

13 Likes

The demolition permit in city records (dated 4/23) calls for the full demolition of a 14-story building, so yes, this project definitely includes the larger, yellow-brick building on Beekman (including the Beekman Pub), not just the 4-story building on the corner.

The Dunkin Donuts on the corner has been gutted, the first sign of tenants clearing out. The upper floors of both buildings are still occupied for now.

3 Likes

Some “before” photos:

4 Likes

There is definitely local opposition to tearing down the 14-story yellow-brick building.

IMG_20200519_170910 copy 2

4 Likes

Have demolition permits already been filed for this, or do they still have a chance to save it?

1 Like

Interior demolition “approved”. Full demolition status is “application processed”, but not “approved”.

1 Like

yayyy… get ready for something crappy

2 Likes

Today

!

3 Likes

they should get Diller Scofidio + Renfro to design this. They’re designing stunning academic buildings for Columbia uptown.

2 Likes

I would have been willing to sacrifice that nice building If it meant getting rid of this pile of bile, but apparently, that’s not in the cards for the foreseeable future.

2 Likes

There’s a petition with about 1300 signatures that calls for saving this building which I found interesting.

Then again of course it’s a petition, and I’m sure that chances are the LPC wouldn’t save this if there was a gun to their head, so I guess I need to accept it’ll be gone soon.

3 Likes

Permits Filed For 15 Beekman Street In Downtown Manhattan

Permits have been filed for a 27-story mixed-use building at 15 Beekman Street in Manhattan’s Financial District. Located at the intersection of Nassau Street and Beekman Street, the corner lot also known as 126-132 Nassau Street is within walking distance of Fulton Street subway station, serviced by the 2, 3, 4, 5, A, C, J, and Z trains. SL Green Realty is listed as the owner behind the applications for the future Pace University academic center and dormitory. Pace University also has an academic property at 41 Park Row.

The proposed 338-foot-tall development will yield 213,084 square feet, with 178,299 square feet designated for community facility space. The building will have classrooms, dorms, a dining facility, a library, and a learning center. The concrete-based structure will also have a cellar, sub-cellar, and a 20-foot-long rear yard.

Manish Chadha of Ismael Leyva Architects is listed as the architect of record.

Demolition permits were filed in April of this year. An estimated completion date has not been announced.

=================

NYY

5 Likes