What are you most looking forward to in 2022?

Haha oh boy every year since about 2006 it seems like there is a rumor that PABT is getting replaced I stopped paying attention a few years ago, would be nice though, maybe there are concrete plans now with federal $ ??

I believe this was the latest news about the project.

So it’s probably just going through the necessary processes right now…hopefully.

2 Likes

Well, we are already at 27/28 or so completed/proposed supertalls as of Jan 1, 2022.

We were at 2 supertalls in 2010 until One World Trade started going up.

The condo market is scorching and there’s new mega sites being created/torn down every year on Manhattan island.

Never say never to anything. This is NYC and America. By far the greatest and most recognizable and important city and country.

2 Likes

On matters above and beyond the Architectural developments in NYC; I am looking forward to the end of Covid19, and the TRUTH about C19 escaping the current tech censorship on the subject.

I hope the world discovers the truth about the following three issues: the great Barrington Declaration; the medicinal efficacy of Ivermectin & Hydroxychloroquine; and the “institutional capture” that has takin place at the CDC.

2 Likes

Where I see potential in New York is:

I hope that the construction of Tribune Tower East will start this year.

1 Like

I am super interested in what they do with the former Pfizer headquarters, if there is any movement on the ConEd site, and the New York Blood Center’s new tower between 66th and 67th. The East Side better start getting serious again about Real Estate Development, or the West Side’s going to just take over and that’ll be the end of it.

1 Like

One thing I’m at least wondering about is what’s happening with Hudson Yards phase two…

2nd is rezoning – The remaining buildable FAR in the city is dangerously low. With the rezoning of Gowanus and SoHo opening the door to rezoning wealthier, whiter areas to increase density, affordability and diversity - and with a mayor who is more pro-development as well - we may see more rezonings. For example, Hell’s Kitchen (which I love but should have never been downzoned long ago) is a perfect spot for residential density. More of LIC between the current center and waterfront, increases in places like Murry Hill and Chelsea, midrise rezoning of Atlantic ave in BK (maybe with some creative ways to keep light industrial too), etc etc.

2 Likes

I would imagine Hell’s Kitchen should get up to like garment district levels of density. Basically replacing brownstones with 10-15 story tenements and some taller commercial towers and residential blocks on the avenues. Hudson Yards Phase 2 is obvious.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I have no idea why Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood isn’t taller or have any development. Does anyone know why?

2 Likes

Because it was always the pits, hence the name Hell’s Kitchen.

2 Likes

Everyone seems to generally state NYC projects here, which I all agree on, but this is what I’m looking forward to.
W/Element Hotel lighting complete
Arthaus complete
The Laurel Rittenhouse complete
Jefferson Specialty Care Pavilion topped out
Schuylkill Yards supertall reveal
Construction starting on Cathedral Square Phase 2
2222 Market Street complete
2301 JFK starting construction

1 Like

Isn’t that the one that’s gonna be tallest or second tallest in Philly?

Seaport leaning tower and XI in Chelsea to resume construction and get completed within the year. Interesting how they are both ‘tilting’ towers: but only one of them on purpose. :rofl:

It was one of the early downzonings stemming from community organizing, basically done in exchange for Javits. My sense is that the only part of HK, (then called by its formal name Clinton apparently) that wasn’t downzoned was along 42nd - hence the development that has happened there… To think that could be the whole neighborhood!

No confirmation, but it was rumored to be 1,095 feet tall. 26 feet under the Comcast Technology Center

Reinforcing what BKhights said, The city made a deal with the neighborhood in order to get approval for WorldWide tower. This zoning is pretty much set in stone.

1 Like

Happy New Year, everyone.

4 Likes

No zoning is set in stone, and you know it. City council can revisit the zoning of Hell’s Kitchen at any time!

I can’t wait for the Rolex building to come down. It’s an eyesore.

I think lower east side and soho need much more development to lose the grit
As well as Chelsea between 7th and 10th Ave needs much more brightness
I hate those brick tenements. They look like slums in the middle of the concrete jungle. OMG.