Visionary and Cancelled Projects & Proposals | Discussion

Frank Gehry’s proposal for The Guggenheim Museum in downtown Manhattan:

gehgugn2

11 Likes

Why was this never built?

Thank goodness this never got built.

3 Likes

It was the Guggenheim Museum’s answer to an RFP issued by the NYEDC for a new museum/cultural center in Manhattan, but they ran into financial problems and abandoned the project/proposal in 2002.

3 Likes

Ha! well, maybe not there, but It would have been nice to have it on the other side of the east river

Idk about that either, it would’ve been absolutely massive and I feel like it would’ve disrupted the area of the skyline its in on either side.

1 Like

I was thinking that we could have gotten a similar relationship that the Sidney Opera house has with the Sidney skyline.

4 Likes

The Sydney Opera House is way smaller than I remember it

2 Likes

If they ever expand Lower Manhattan with landfill, this would be the perfect addition to give it that extra bit of panache. You know, that extra kick.

2 Likes

3 Likes

JOURNAL SQUARE NJ

4 Likes

9 Likes

7 Likes

447 10th Ave 1800 feet

5 Likes

Bank of Southwest Tower
Houston

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/building/bank-of-southwest-tower/187

and Chicago

5 Likes

A Model from the old 383 Madison Avenue

4 Likes

Per: NEW YORK | Television City | 1,910' Pinnacle / 1,670' Roof | 150 FLOORS | NEVER BUILT - SkyscraperPage Forum

4 Likes

New renderings depict three unbuilt Frank Lloyd Wright skyscrapers in astonishing detail

THE ARCHITECT’S NEWSPAPER

9 Likes

Well, that would’ve been something else, but I’d imagine they’d have problems as Wright projects are/were notorious for having problems.

3 Likes

True, maybe dealing with those problems is the price of getting to enjoy these masterpieces :grinning:

2 Likes