1 Like

Victor Gruen’s air-conditioned malls for Roosevelt Island

MESSY NESSY

6 Likes

Oof, glad that didn’t come to fruition.

6 Likes

To be honest, what we got is not much better:

1 Like

Lol well to be fair, I thought that those buildings were going to be demolished for a new extension to the Cornell Tech campus? Unless what I’m thinking of is only extending on the south side of the island.

New York Edgar Towers Skyvoid 1300 feet

Per:Edgar Towers Skyvoid - The Skyscraper Center

And: Edgar Street Towers Reconnect Lower Manhattan / IwamotoScott - eVolo | Architecture Magazine

3 Likes

Found some cool renders of Zaha Hadid’s unbuilt supertall residential tower at 660 Fifth Ave:

9 Likes

This thing would have been huge, and quite good looking. You said supertall so I assumed on the lower end, but then I saw BOA in the background. Apparently 1,400 ft. Very nice.

I assume still possible? Though highly unlikely and very very expensive now that the renovation happened

2 Likes

I’d say it’s still possible elsewhere, but I’d even go to the extent to say not at all over highly unlikely since demands will change as time passes and so on and ownership may also change by the time the renovation is also deemed “old”.

3 Likes

In my city, there was going to be two 400 foot towers but it ran out of time and got cancelled, it would’ve been the tallest in Stamford CT

9 Likes

Those towers got replaced by two 282 foot tall towers

6 Likes

The Hudson Spire

7 Likes

That’s a very cool skyscraper

3 Likes

Would have preferred something like this to the spiral (even though that would never happen due to the economics of it). But now that it’s finishing up the spiral doesn’t look that bad either.

1 Like

Even though it would have been cool, kinda glad the mile high was not ever gonna happen. That thing would have probably sucked to work in with the tech of the time.

3 Likes

He was in a different category, With GaudĂ­, Calatrava, and I would say, not too many more. Not perfect, but brave, unique and inspired.

1 Like

I dont remember seeing this image of the Thompson Center

8 Likes

When I visited Jahns office in 2020 they had a large color print of this. When I get a chance perhaps ill post photos from my visit.

4 Likes

Please do! That’s a place I’ve wanted to visit for years, hopefully I still can. I want to learn as much about Liberty Place and other Jahn projects as possible

1 Like

Per: https://www.reddit.com/r/newjersey/comments/kvwxgo/rendering_of_the_unbuilt_grant_usa_tower_and/

Rendering of the unbuilt Grant USA Tower and Renaissance Mall in Newark. Set to be the world’s tallest tower, the project was abandoned in the 80s and is now the site of the Prudential Center.

1750 feet 120 floors

8 Likes