Traffic and Highways in New York

Discussion of traffic, streets and new highways in New York.

Vision or proposed

@Shane_Keena

3 Likes

Love it! Even though it’s the most hated proposal of his, I think it was his best proposal! New York could use a second effort of urban renewal, and this is ready to go, no questions asked!

1 Like

You have your own ideas?

I certainly think there are a ton of preexisting proposals that need a second look. This is one of them, and New York City seems to more and more be going in the modernist direction anyways. With that being said, here’s a link to an idea that I had. It’s building Gotham City and Metropolis from DC comics in real life.

“Crazy Idea #1 - Project Malcolm - Off-Topic - YIMBY Forums” https://forum.newyorkyimby.com/t/crazy-idea-1-project-malcolm/21049

They need to raze the FDR Drive. Transfer it entirely underground. Create a sweeping waterfront park, with Miami-esque waterfront residential buildings lining the East River. Pedestrianize the waterfront. Look at Seattle and Boston.

Also, the sin ugly BQE needs to be torn down.

4 Likes

Yes at this point getting rid of it entirely is a bad idea. Put it underground, then you have miles of new development. Big waterfront park and quality residential buildings (lots more supertalls?) Like you said.

Plus even ignoring the functional benefits, it will just make the city look better as a whole

1 Like

Just imagine the demand for direct waterfront property on the East River. I can envision it being something like Miami Beach or Brickell, balcony-filled highrises that open up to the waterfront.

3 Likes

I would love to see some Miami esque buildings in NYC.
People always say certain styles don’t fit in NYC (like pagoda style scrapers, or smooth skyscrapers etc) but I just think it’s because they haven’t veen introduced yet.

NYC is a city of diversity, the more diverse architecture the better I say.

1 Like

There is a lot of architectural diversity in the city.

But it’s good to see our waterfronts coming alive. Astoria, Williamsburg, Dumbo, LIC… it’s only a matter of time until we get some tropical styled buildings lining the river. Razing the FDR and creating a new waterfront masterplan will be worth billions, and decades.

3 Likes

I think the reason you don’t see miami style building along nyc waterfronts is that the heat isn’t as consistent as miami. But frankly I don’t think that’s a big problem, they should still sell well

1 Like

I am sure there will be a bunch of rich people who will use them/rent them during the summer months and head back to Miami during NYC winters.

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes