The New York Metropolitan Skyline Photo Collection

ya, I had never been in midtown east before this trip and I did not realize how fat the Chrysler building is in its lower half since that is obscured in every other view.

1 Like

Awesome find, Hunser. JC is really standing on its own now. It’s just hard to see it for its own identity, when you have the monstrosity that is Manhattan right next door.

Good stuff, Tokila! That’s what this thread is all about!

So true. It has many setbacks to 31st floor. ^^
I’ve been there with my family in 2006, luckily. My family and I went through the entrance of Lexington Avenue and saw the lobby. It’s beautiful!
But the picture you took it’s from the East 42nd Street.
Speaking of which, did you visit inside, Tokila?

nope, we walked on by turned north on on 5th avenue then ate at a pretty good British pub called “Cock and Bull” (crab cakes and shepherds pie)

I cant remember which street it was on, probably around 50th between 5th and 6th ave.

1 Like

Oh okay. Just curious. ^^

Going to put a plug in for this for people who want the best view and some great pics. It is cheaper than doing an observation deck it last for 2 hours you get some interesting narration, and you can buy a beer at the concession stand on the boat.

We did the 7pm cruise because it is what fit into our schedule (my wife decided at 3 pm that day she wanted to get a good view of statue of liberty). But I would say for best pictures go earlier in the day (I felt the lighting could have been better for pics, but we did get some nice sunset colors). Also get to cruise early to ensure you get a best seat (by edge of boat near open window or on open deck).

These postcards were from a vacation of my parents did together in 1991 to Japan and USA!
I now guard their albums, pictures, stuffs and postcards of that amazing trip with care and like precious treasures for us all! ^^

The first is the one I mentioned that presents a link to miketew56’s image!
Look how it changed from 1988 to 2016, besides the unforgettable Twin Towers!

9074 LOWER MANHATTAN FROM STATAN ISLAND FERRY
(it’s written “Statan” instead of “Staten” funny enough)
G-002 PHOTOGRAPHER----JOHN CALABRESE
IMPACT 1988
PRINTED IN JAPAN

And the second one, but in the different spot and time!

7267 BROOKLYN BRIDGE TO MANHATTAN
G-001 PHOTOGRAPHER----DENNIS HALLINAN ---- FPG
1987 IMPACT
PRINTED IN JAPAN

2 Likes

Today from Stevens.

3 Likes

From a friend on Facebook.

5 Likes

Very nice picture!
Like the colors of this day and the water!

so this is a crazy fact to me. I just realized that Citigroup Tower (601 Lexington) was the largest tower built in a 33 year period in NYC. From 1974 to 2007 Citigroup tower was the largest building built at 279 meters. The NY Times tower finally one upped it in 07 at 319m, but if we are going by roof/crown height (which is my personal preference, spires look cool to me but they do not make it look bigger) it was not til 2009 with BoA Tower. Between 2014 and 2020 we will have about 22 towers built with roof/crown height taller than Citigroup tower.

This also helps remind us that Trump World Tower back in 01 was a really big deal at the time. It was the largest in 25 years at the time. Now towers under development like TW are just a footnote and at times forgotten.

As walpole would say. Tis the age of Ramses.

1 Like

These two EarthCam’s are AMAZING! Maybe we should start a new thread and just pin them to the top of the forum!

Live Image updated frequently including Jersey City all the way to Brooklyn!

Live Video feed focusing on Manhattan!

2 Likes

This ShellyS photographer takes some sweet shots. This was on the 23rd of June. Which was also a humid as hell day. You can just “see” the humidity via the haze.

Credit: ShellyS

8 Likes

Incredible shot! I’d love to see that with all the new buildings photoshopped in.

1 Like

I personally believe a hazy skyline is the best skyline… its got a mystery to it that cant be beat.

1 Like

Or hb just in two years when most are built :wink:

Manhattan Skyline by Denise Aerielle, on Flickr

4 Likes

Is that 220 CPS under construction slightly to the left of Time Warner Center?

Yes. Good catch! It will almost be the height of One57. Off by 50-60 feet, but One 57 is somewhat a close reference to how it will stand in the skyline. Or… if you look at Time Warner, something along the halfway point between TW and One 57 in terms of height.