Old Skyscraper Renderings and Construction

Mellon Bank Center, Philadelphia

Early model based off sketch (@Mackensen posted another perspective of this same model)

Images from the Philadelphia Inquirer when the tower was first revealed in August 1986, shows the 880 foot 62-story design

Two new images found in Kohn Pedersen Fox 1976-1986 by Paul Goldenberger
The models show the final design, but still with the 880 foot figure. This updated model appears on the same model city layout seen above. I was not aware about this, this is why these books are highly significant to me

Finally, an elevation from the same book. Final design at 880 feet, the roof height of One Liberty Place just under the spire is 885 feet. By 1987, the final design was shortened to 824 feet, and in October 1989 the tower topped out

Model of the final design

4 Likes

Computer, enhance

8 Likes

Very nice pictures, but I miss construction photos of their projects in the books.
Since I collect historical photos of major North American cities, I might also have construction photos from Philadelphia.

2 Likes

Please post if found!

1 Like

This is the third post from my book “Bau der Wolkenkratzer” by O. Rappold it is the first German language book on the subject. It appeared since 1890 many interesting articles in the specialized press but these were only short descriptions.

Height comparison of skyscrapers to a typical three-story townhouse in German cities. My audience was thrilled when I presented this as an introduction to my talk. Yes, I gave a lecture in 2015 on how skyscrapers used to be built.

Foundation from the Hobart Building in San Francisco

This base of a corner column of the MetLife Building weighed 11 tons.

Wind bracing of the tower from MetLife Buildings.

Ceiling construction

Construction equipment and caisson plan of the Trinity Building addition, for the Municipal Building which cost a total of $11 million, $1.5 million was for the caisson work alone.

Gillender Building floor plan

7 Likes

Even though no skyscraper was ever planned in my homeland, I am posting here the official drawing of Klingenthal’s town hall from 1913. In 1913 the building was already under construction, why the picture was published only in this year I do not know.

I would have a new title for this topic not just old skyscrapers but old buildings.

Old Buildings Renderings and Construction

5 Likes

Liberty Place model 1987 iteration

One Liberty Place rising into the skyline 1986

4 Likes

Lorraine DeLuca on Flickr
One Liberty Place 1986 and 1987

6 Likes

US Library of Congress

Rockefeller Center

9 Likes

If anyone here is near Paris, please go to this exhibition. I’m trying to see good shots of all of these models, especially the Comcast Technology Center model. It’s an early model during the design process, shows an early unfinished iteration of the tower. And now possibly a decade old

3 Likes
1 Like

I’m late to the party, but these renderings are mind-blowing. This is one of my favorite never-completed projects in the world, but somehow I’ve never seen this asymmetrical design before.

Surely there must be a developer out there salivating over the possibility of adding several dozen stories of high end apartments in a super desirable neighborhood. Considering the flagging office market, a residential developer could surely get ahold of this building for a relative bargain.

I would love to see how it would look to flip the asymmetrical design — with the mass of the tower set back from the park, giving the Metropolitan Life clocktower room to breathe and preserving sightlines from further up Madison.

1 Like

Per: What Would the Unfinished Metlife North Building in New York Have Looked Like? | ArchDaily

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unbuilt_Architecture/comments/jwq03j/the_original_metropolitan_life_north_building_was/

^^^

Unbuilt

5 Likes

Only unbuilt

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unbuilt_Architecture/comments/jy5eq6/proposed_skyscraper_for_columbus_circle_new_york/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

3 Likes

MetLife going all the way up would have probably attracted more office towers to that area. Makes me wonder what might have been.

2 Likes

Per: Visionary and Cancelled Projects & Proposals | Discussion - #37 by Mackensen

Wow unbuilt

2 Likes

No where better to post, but here’s my photos from the Skyscraper Museum

6 Likes

If anyone hasn’t been. As far as I can tell it’s free admission. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

7 World Trade Center rendering

3 Likes

Rendering for the modern 7 WTC

2 Likes