Liberty Centre: An Iconic Concept

Hello everyone! I am designing a building that if it actually gets built, will be the second tallest building in the world! I designed this for fun btw so it’s not an actual proposal.

Liberty Centre is a 2,632 ft (802.2 m) tall building in New York City, NY, United States. It is planned to be built on the site of the current New York Marriott Marquis tower in Times Square. Liberty Centre is the tallest man made structure in the Western Hemisphere and the second tallest building in the world, less than 100 feet shorter than the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. Liberty Centre has numerous world records such as having the world’s highest occupied floor, the world’s highest restaurant, and the world’s highest observation deck. Liberty Centre is basically designed as 5 buildings combined into one building where there is a skylobby every 320 feet, to allow for elevator transfers, mechanical space, and allowing the buildings concrete core to decrease in width to allow for extra floor space. The tower is topped by a 652 ft tall crown that is mostly empty, but contains mechanical space and a private observatory. Liberty Centre’s design is inspired by the Statue of Liberty and stands as a testament to American history and culture. Liberty Centre stands as a symbol, a Beacon of Progress, a modern icon for New York City and the country she represents, Liberty Centre, is, America

Statistics:
Height: 2,632 feet (802.234 meters)
Floors: 130
Highest occupied floor: 1,980 feet (603 meters)
Address: 1535 Broadway, New York, NY 10036
Functions: Office, Hotel, Residential, Retail

Let me know what you guys think about it! Any criticisms, what you like about it, and if this is worthy of being in the greatest city on earth!

4 Likes

I like the design. Would never be built on that specific site, as the Marriott Marquis is one of the most valuable hotel properties on earth, but it would fit well in Manhattan.

3 Likes

LC will serve as a replacement for the Marquis although it doesn’t need to replace that specific building (similar to what Project Commodore is planned to be), it needs to be in or nearby Times Square in order for it to fit into the skyline without sticking out like a sore thumb.

Love the creativity! It’s honestly a cool design. Keep them coming!

Unfortunately, from a real world perspective, I don’t think we’ll ever see a megatall in NYC. I’m not entirely opposed to one. However, after a certain height, towers are just too problematic for their own good. Residential uses up that high are only for the ultra wealthy (and even if they were affordable) not many people want to live in a place where it takes 15 minutes just to get downstairs and outside.

Even if you wanted to make it 100% office/commercial space, the cost to build something so extravagant is astronomical when you can get the same results from a more modest 500ft tower and spend the rest of the money on things like infrastructure improvements.

Therefore, the only reason to build something like this is as a “cultural statement” which is what we’ve seen in the middle east and asia. America doesn’t exactly need to announce ourselves on the world stage.

1 Like

I think we’ll get a few megatalls, perhaps within 10-15 years. A few years ago new NYC supertalls were almost unheard of; now they’re pretty common. We know that 1,500 and 1,600 ft. towers now make economic sense, when 10-15 years ago they didn’t. 2,000 ft. is within reach, IMO.

2 Likes

Totally possible. As I mentioned, I’m not against a mega-tall, as long as it’s a flattering design and isn’t just more billionaire condos.

That’s EXACTLY what I had in mind when designing this! Trust me when I say, I’m kinda getting tired of pencil towers

I know it’s been a while since I’ve update this thread, but I’ve been working on a physical model of Liberty Centre, it has had a slight redesign, bumping its height up to 2,780 feet, witch would make it the tallest building in the world

5 Likes

I wish this could be built as 2WTC, but no way in hell that’s happening.

1 Like

Here’s a comparison of Liberty Centre with the Statue of Liberty, showing very clearly that LC’s design is based on Lady Liberty!

4 Likes

I’ve created some “renderings” visualizing Liberty Centre’s impact on NYC’s Skyline!

And finally, the two ladies of Liberty:

7 Likes

Amazing! Where is that? Penn?

Times Square

I could see that. Surprised that Times is as low as it is right now, I would have expected at least 1 super tall.

1 Like

Congratulations to Kuala Lumpur’s Merdeka 118 on topping out at 2227 feet earlier today!

5 Likes

Love the design of most of that building, but I will never like the ridiculous mast on it.

1 Like

At least Liberty Centres vanity height is integrated into the design

1 Like

I’d like to figure out if a building like Liberty Centre is a realistic proposal for New York City and if it wouldn’t have any problems with zoning or airspace. Do we have anyone in these forums who would know something like this?

1 Like

Realistic? HA! no.
Technicality within the realms of reality? Yes.
Being over 2,000 ft it would have to contend within the FFA, anything over 2,000 is federal airspace but getting approval wouldn’t be that hard.
The only place right now I could see this rising realistically is Midtown East, maybe if they torn down 200 Park Avenue and combined as many air rights as they can get their hands on.
But your main problem would be financing, most megatalls are made as status symbols (the most prime example being the Burj Khalifa, I think 30% of that building isn’t usuable space) not to make financial sense. It being right on top of a transit hub would help sell the floors (1 Vandy sold so well the developers wish they could have gotten more space in the building) but even then it would be up in the air.

2 Likes

Happy Valentine’s Day!

6 Likes