NEW YORK | Where Would You Build A New Skyscraper?

Who of you has ever thought about a new location of a skyscraper.

Regardless of whether it is a supertalls with over 500 meters or a low building with only a few floors.

You can upload pictures of parking lots, wasteland or ugly buildings where a new building looks nicer.

This topic is independent of the city it can be New York, Philadelphia, Chicago or another.

Comments and discussions are allowed

3 Likes

My first idea for the location of a large skyscraper on the side of madison square garden and two penn plaza.

The Penn Place Tower

In a similar design to Vanderbilt Plaza or Manhattan West with the base of the Old Penn Station.

Reconstruct the old Penn station in the area of ​​the outer facade (colonnades) in concrete.

The tower and Penn Station are independent, the lobby from Penn Place Tower is accessible via escalators and elevators.

or the spiral of Hudson Yards as a pyramid design.

3 Likes

On the site of the Gulf & Western building on Columbus Circle. Tear down the tacky reskinned junk, put in a limestone flatiron design by Robert AM Stern.

2 Likes

My first design for a planned new building on the grounds of Madison Square Garden und Two Penn Place. The skyscraper’s lobby is located above the train station and is accessible by elevator and escalators. The outer facade is provided with three spirals, but these are independent of each other and are cut off with a terrace. The roof is either with stained glass or with white glass with a color-changing LED strip.

Idea and design of the Penn Place Tower by Mackensen (MK)

How does the skyscraper fit into the Philadelphia skyline when it is between 1300 and 1640 feet high? without the Penn station facade

4 Likes

A new update in Theo Town a Android App

101 Warren Street

4 Likes

Megatall in the MSG area

10 Likes

If it is profitable, why don’t developers build this high now?

1 Like

I know it’ll never happen, but I’d love to see a tower just stuck in between Lower and Midtown. Could start a new booking area and could balance the skyline…but ESB could get lost if that happens

5 Likes

A unbuilt Skyscraper in Midtown Manhattan: Travelstead Tower 1080 feet, 74 storys.

The Manhattan Savings Bank at 383 Madison Avenue was built by Robert Knapp and was sold to Ware Travelstead in 1982. Travelstead proposed a landmark building as their new headquarters, and the building they selected was exactly that. Travelstead proposed a tower to rise on two sites, each with an equal amount of transferable air rights from Grand Central Terminal. The tower, nearby some of Manhattan’s tallest would well exceed the Pan Am Building, and even the Chrysler Building at 1080 feet and at 74 storeys it would encompass a total of 1.6 million square feet.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16779&page=4

6 Likes

5 Likes

Today Earthcam

Two beautiful twins One Vanderbilt and the Travelstead Tower

6 Likes

It would really be cool seeing those two towers together.

4 Likes

do we have a draftsman in the forum? he could draw the two together

2 Likes

I would like to see the Metropolitan Life North Building completed. With the new light weight super strong materials used today it could be completed following the original design but elongated into a mega tall. I would think that the strength of the base combined with the new building materials could make this a reallity.

11 Likes

I would like to see it completed also. I envisioned it as the ESB’s sibling or even big brother depending on the scale to which it would be constructed. I think there would be significant difficulty to obtain enough air rights though, if even possible. Ultimately, I think Robert A.M. Stern would do a wonderful job designing it with regards to integrating it into the 21st century while paying due respect to the original design.

8 Likes

Never heard of this one. It’s a remarkably beautiful design considering it was drafted in the early 80s when int’l style was still pretty hot. Shame it was never built

3 Likes

RAMSA would obviously be a solid choice to complete a historically-accurate version of the tower, but I’d also like to see SHoP’s vision for updating it. After what SHoP pulled off at Steinway – and what they have rising at 9 Dekalb – they’re the firm I have the greatest confidence in utilizing futuristic engineering while respecting the history and context of the site.

4 Likes

So now all we need is a couple of billion dollars and a few million sq ft of air rights. Maybe Thomas Koloski could do a rendering at 1999.00 ft to appease the FAA. Ha Ha Ha!

5 Likes

View from the Empire State Building looking north 1983

Below the 270 Park Avenue Building you can see the old buildings where the Travelstead Tower should be built.

4 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBJgU1kiK0M/

9 Likes