Grand Central Tower

Based off the design for the Mile-High Illinois by Frank Lloyd Wright, Grand Central Tower will replace the unattractive and ill-favored MetLife Building and the outdated and outmoded Helmsley Building. The first skyscraper in the world to break one mile in height, this would be the defining skyscraper for the modern age of New York City.

2 Likes

My version of the tower.

2 Likes

I mile versus 1 kilometer version.

Yes, I saw that on the other thread! I tried to tailor the base to something that would fit on the site, but I still don’t 100% like it, and I will likely change the base again sometime soon. I want the full base designed by Frank Lloyd Wright to be implemented here, so I will make those changes sometime soon.

1 Like

Goliath!! :heart_eyes:

Wished it came true IRL. But the FAA and One WTC would be having a field day and be like “you shall not pass”

Love the Fellowship of the Ring reference you did there! But in all seriousness, all you would need to do is prove it isn’t in the way of any aircraft going into any one of three airports around and you’re gravy.

1 Like

Then that means there would be no point enacting an FAA limit of 2000 ft (600 meters). That way taller skyscrapers would rise, even taller than the tip of One WTC.

Trust me, the FAA limit is the last thing that is preventing a skyscraper from reaching 2000ft.
The number 1 thing is of course, money.

1 Like

Not surprised. Money is one of the biggest issues when it comes to skyscrapers. But it’s funny because the Burj Khalifa is a megatall but yet it was less expensive to build it than One WTC.

Well that’s for a variety of reasons. The most prominent of which being that nothing was there before the Burj so it was relatively cheap to acquire and prepare the site.
But also remember this is New York City, by some estimates the most expensive place to build on planet Earth. We could probably build a megatall in the middle of Kansas for around 2 billion (not that we ever would cause that’s pretty dumb).

1 Like

Oh yeah, forgot about that. NYC is one of the most expensive places on Earth so I see why. But still, if they can build the most expensive sites such as the World Trade Center, One WTC, and even Hudson Yards, I believe they could build at least a 1900ft structure somewhere in the city.

Because it was built in a relatively nonestablished city. Now, it would likely cost you a lot more to build the same structure today.

1 Like

Updated rendering of Grand Central Tower.

1 Like

I might build the Mile-High Illinois eventually in Minecraft, in full height :slight_smile:

But I’m debating if I should build the 1km version or a mile-high version

1 Like

Completed!

2 Likes