NEW YORK | World Trade Center District

Camera shots taken on 2/19/24

Part 2/2

7 Likes

Anyone know what’s going on with the North fountain at the memorial? Maintenance perhaps? Went by the other day and it was shut down and completely drained of water. Didn’t even think to ask a worker what the deal was. You can’t tell on the cams today because of the rain but yeah, it’s been off for several days and emptied.

Here’s a pic of the empty pool from the cam. There does appear to be something sitting in the very bottom section

11 Likes

Interesting! I wonder what they could be doing. Hopefully it’s back up and running asap.

It appears they may be doing maintenance on the lights along the edge of the pool. The west side light strips have been removed

9 Likes

From today. Yesterday they had some scaffolding in the southwest corner that’s gone today. They’ve also removed the lights along the northern edge of the pool within the past week or so

10 Likes

Per the maintenance crew the North Fountain was totally shut off and drained for the first time for a deep cleaning of the entire structure. It will take months, but is expected and “promised” to be done in time to be turned back on for the anniversary in September. Afterwards, it will be the South Fountain’s turn. While each fountain (pool) has had regular cleaning every week by a dedicated crew, it was decided that a deep cleaning with all of the water off was finally needed.

11 Likes

Makes sense, it’s been over a decade. Lot of wear and tear wherever moving water is involved.

9 Likes

That’s what I was thinking as well. It hasn’t had a deep cleaning like this since they turned the water on back in 2011. I’m glad they’re taking special care of the fountains.

7 Likes

Albeit related to the previous complex, Davis Brody Bond has published the full 150 page public spaces masterplan from 1995, it goes in deep detail (structural, 1993 bombing affect, elevations, bollard designs, etc) and it’s worth taking a look at, worth noting their involvement in the memorial design.

5 Likes

9 Likes

Top of the spire is a lot darker than before. Hopefully they’re working on that lighting upgrade? And for the love of the tower, bring back the beacon!

4 Likes

Looks like some of the lights blew out or broke to me. First, it started with one section (as of yesterday) and now it seems multiple are now out and for the longest, several mechanical floor lights have been blown out as well.
From yesterday:

I too, hope for the return of the beacon as unlikely as it will be.

8 Likes

And check out the top of 4 World Trade…at least the crown lights on 3 appear to be on. And check it out, FAA lights on The Greenwich!

2 Likes

4 WTC’s top lights have been broken for over a year.

The degree of ineptitude in designing, engineering, installing, and maintaining lighting systems in buildings all over Manhattan is staggering. Why can’t it be done correctly? There must be cities in the world that do a better job. Can’t we learn from them? The problem is so widespread that it is hard for me to believe that it’s just money saving that is driving the results.

4 Likes

The carelessness with the maintenance on these towers is absurd - especially at 1 WTC. Between the base and mast lighting, I don’t know which is worse. The original WTC never had this issue with the antenna lighting. It was taken care of. The ESB ALWAYS looks great. As someone also pointed out the crown lighting at 4 WTC has been out for over a year. There is also a window that’s needed replacement for years. I don’t get it.

4 Likes

My exact problem with NYC and Philadelphia at night. Chicago and Charlotte seem to do well with the lighting

2 Likes

10 Likes

15 Likes