NEW YORK | Various News About Our City and Q&A

Let’s have some fun New York.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!🥳🥳🥳 pic.twitter.com/8U1u8gKEeq

— il Donaldo Trumpo (@PapiTrumpo) November 20, 2022
1 Like
1 Like

The post being a garbage bin as usual

3 Likes

Amazing events happening on the Social Media Censorship front. Please follow Elon & Matt Taibbi on Twitter for all recent details on the “Data Dump” of the Twitter Files…

A whole lot of nothing!

6 Likes

I am promoting this New York event for “a friend”. I plan to attend: hope you can too…

The number of construction projects we have coming in the next 1-3 years alone is insane. Some of these projects will change the landscape of New York. Projects like:

Manhattan
270 Park Ave
175 Park Ave
350 Park Ave
2 WTC
5 WTC
TSX Broadway
Hudson Yards Phase II
Empire Complex Redevolpment
Port Authority Bus Terminal
Manhattan West

Brooklyn
Brooklyn Tower
80 and 100 Flatbush
589 Fulton
Domino Park
Greens Point

Bronx
Bronx Point (Hip Hop Museum)
Bankside
2413 3rd Ave
Mott Haven

Queens
Willets Point
NYCFC stadium
2748 Jackson ave (Long Island City’s new tallest)
43-30 24th Street
Innovation QNS
Hallets Point
Hunters Point
JFK airport

Staten Island
St. George neighborhood devolpment

Rail Projects
Second Ave
Gateway
Metro-North Penn Station Access
Grand Central Madison
IBX?

Even the surrounding areas like Yonkers, New Rochelle, and Jersey City are starting to get a ton of development. Like what other metro area is getting this much infrastructure and construction projects this grand? No wonder why New York is known as the city with a different skyline everyday.

2 Likes

@Nickfloyo Yes, and all you’ve listed is only a drop in the bucket in terms of the many other proposals out there (including those that are low rise, Two Bridges development, River Ring, some developments sprouting on the UES and East Harlem, Bronx, Jamaica, Hallets Point in Astoria, Flushing, Columbia Uni projects, and also different rezonings in the Bronx and Brooklyn (Pacific Park)). The list you’ve formulated is only the tip of the iceberg.

Let’s not forget - there are probably proposals on the table from developers that we don’t even know about yet, and won’t make public eye until months or years from now.

3 Likes

That’s the great part too. There are so many projects in streamline right now and there are many more to come. Especially since Mayor Adams is seems to be very Yimby and even wants 500k housing built by the decade. I don’t know how feasible of a goal that is but even reaching half of that would be nice.

2 Likes

I hope all this new development spreads over to Long Island and Westchester cities. Cities like New Rochelle almost have a proper skyline.

1 Like

It’s completely possible, as long as areas are given zoming to build large residential towers as of right. They don’t have to be super tall, just filled with 100s of units

1 Like

It definitely is. There are a lot of areas throughout all the buroughs that can be redeveloped into high density areas. I like what they are doing in the South Bronx and along the East river. We need a lot more of that!

2 Likes

It’s definitely possible, but 500,000 units is an extremely large amount of units. 601 W 29th St (The Block A tower at Hudson Yards) is among the largest apartment towers in the city and the biggest in Manhattan with over 900 units, but the city would have to build over 500 of those to meet that goal and that in itself is not a small feat to make.

4 Likes

Long Island is so NIMBY it’s disgusting. Hopefully they push transit oriented development into LI. Kathy Hochul seemed mad about LI not being developed, as per a recent article.

1 Like

How is Long Island NIMBY though when beyond the scope of Queens, its just a number of towns here and there, why does it have to be YIMBY or NIMBY if it’s not apart of NYC. It’s more suburban living than urban, it doesn’t need to be super dense.

As far as transit oriented development, what is more transit oriented than the LIRR itself? That’s it’s entire purpose to bring the commuter network out to the far reaches of the Island.

That is unless you are specifically referring to Long Island City, which I’d say is definitely in the progress of building a number of new residential towers.

3 Likes

I grew up and live in between Manhattan and Long Island (Suffolk County.) A lot of Long Islander’s are NIMBY against transit oriented development, (low-rise filler buildings). In my specific town, many developments proposed for parking lots (condos, lowrise apartment complexes) have been bashed for generating overdevelopment or so called “overburden” on local infrastructure. Few towns like Amityville, Patchogue, and Bay Shore, however, are increasingly becoming densified. Overall, LI is overwhelmingly NIMBY when it comes to passive transit-oriented development. I am not saying LI has to be like an offshoot of Queens. However, they should be encouraging more growth around LIRR stations. There should be no bicker and batter about building up around train station limits. @TKDV

6 Likes

I see, well I definitely understand your point, as all one really sees at LIRR stations are vast parking lots and sometimes a few small shops and stores/restaurants but that’s the way it is in suburban areas, you can’t build up development around the stations because then you’ll be displacing the area people park to travel on the LIRR, but that’s not to say that all developments have been stifled by LI residents. But I wouldn’t particularly call it transit oriented because that implies that the LIRR itself wouldn’t exist or are referring to anything relating to the train, I think you are more talking about development centered around the stations.

It’s better to have a parking lot than a giant parking garage. People use the stations as a point to get to the city not necessarily a marker to start commerce within the area of the station, that’s the difference between a suburban and urban area, the transit is more metropolitan based, not local, so the “downtown” district doesn’t necessarily have to be around the station.

I don’t see that as a NIMBY vs YIMBY issue, it’s just how a suburb differs from a urban area.

2 Likes