NEW YORK | Various News About Our City and Q&A

Installation of NYC Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree

Full Installation of the NYC Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree 2022. The tree is a Norway Spruce which is 82 feet tall and comes from Queensbury, NY. It is believed to be between 85 to 90 years old and donated by the Lebowitz family.

2 Likes

I mean, no. Do NOT do that.
Plaza St. is one way, widening it would eliminate the berms that shelter the side streets from the insanity of traffic on plaza. It was alway hard to navigate this area but I do think the lanes are more defined now than they used to be, which really helps. Of course all of this has been negated by mopeds, e-bikes, scooters, OneWheels, e-wheels, hoverboards, e-skateboards, vaping gangs of dog walkers etc. it’s back to being completely unnavigable but widening Plaza is not the answer.

2 Likes

Lol I mean I wouldn’t want to redirect traffic into a larger outer ring in general, but something would have to be done to help or assist in alleviating or solving the problem caused by closing Grand Army Plaza as that is where all the traffic converges, it is also the simpler solution than digging under the plaza or raising it, the latter of which is nonsensical.

When I was thinking of that comment originally, I wasn’t thinking of removing or altering Plaza St., it would still remain one way. but the roads that make up GAP would just re relocated to be next to Plaza St., making the outer ring “wider” as I kept terming it. I believe this would also better traffic and remove all the extra turns and criss crossing that currently exists, from the previous recent “redo” of the traffic pattern.

1 Like

This is more like something I was thinking of, my version is on top and the current condition is below (everything is based on accurate measurements). The lane conditions change in the current scheme, so that may be throwing off the width of GAP in my version, though my version is also attempting to decrease the amount of lanes in general since some of them wouldn’t exist anymore.

4 Likes

love it!

1 Like

It would be near impossible to bury GAP because of the 2/3 and B/Q subway lines that run beneath it. Very few pedestrians utilize the outer walkway along GAP-the vast majority of foot traffic is along Plaza. I think this has a lot to do w/the buffer that is created by the trees, which LOL you have clear cut from a forrest of 12 to a single sad tree. I would recommend eliminating the pedestrian walkway along the outer ring of GAP. There is a bus stop that would need to get relocated but otherwise I think that is a better solution.

1 Like

I’m planning to attend tonight (via zoom).
Here is the link if anyone wants to go: ZOOM GRAND ARMY

1 Like

Oh “I’m” aware of the subway, I was more so mentioning the burying/lifting part in my other post as most proposals (serious or not) that were made when the idea to get rid of Grand Army Plaza first came up almost all involved burying the roundabout or lifting the entire park, both of which are nonsensical lol.

The outer walkway on the west side of GAP is where the Bus stop is as you mentioned, the east side has curb parking and is most likely why more people use it. The buffer serves no purpose but to buffer noise, it is not useable by the public because it is an actual fenced off forest and creates a non welcoming atmosphere that also decreases visibility and continuity from the outermost sidewalk of the ellipse.

The single tree in my version (it’s a tree lined curb) is not meant as a buffer anymore, the entire buffer is unnecessary as moving GAP outwards and decreasing the number of lanes will decrease traffic noise, the single curb is meant for protection to bicyclists and Plaza St and would then serve as the pedestrian lane for the bus stop (the bus lane is the wide empty lane next to it). Noise is now more so mitigated by doubling the width of the sidewalk on the outermost edge of Plaza St. Outside of all that, eliminating the bus lane wouldn’t do much to the current scheme because it only exists on a small fraction of the overall length and width of GAP. All the reclaimed land in my version from removing the buffer and GAP would become usable park space within the oval, which will make the environment more welcoming.

1 Like

LOL and I’m aware it’s a tree lined curb lol. I agree that those proposed solutions are asinine but a single row of trees just won’t cut it.

The buffer as it currently exists creates an illusion that the surrounding neighborhoods are not actually located along a major thoroughfare. I would liken the effect to the sunken roadway inside Prospect Park, which serves the same purpose, more or less.

The audio factor of ambient traffic is only one component at play here, and I would argue that berms act as blinders to the visual stimuli. As high rises change the character of the neighborhood, its just a rare point of solace. In fact, I often ask myself “I wonder how many rats live in there?”

Personally speaking, I don’t think space has to be utilitarian to perform a function. Green space can be a measure of rest, like a blank page between the title page and first chapter. And really, as New Yorkers I think we should be allowed just a touch of our non-welcoming attitude. You want to bury the what? Go back to your fish tossing in Seattle why don’t ya? Go bake your beans back in Boston!

Anyhow my 2 cents

2 Likes

Lol but that’s what I’m saying, my single row of trees curb isn’t replacing the berm/buffer islands, the need for the berm just goes away, the single row of trees in my instance is just to demarcate Plaza St and the cycling paths from Grand Army Plaza and the new Bus stop curb.

I completely understand your perception of the berm as it exists atm, but my main point is that the berm isn’t usable, a space can have vegetation and greenery while still being usable. And like you’ve said, having unmaintained/able spaces doesn’t really create a sanitary environment, there could be thousands of rats and animals in the berms and they are also unsightly due to how unkept they are.

Even though it doesn’t look like it, the vegetation would eventually grow tall enough to also still hide the new GAP in it’s repositioned location closer to Plaza St.

I also agree with your utilitarian point. I think things can be attractive and useful at the same time, but the current berm is neither, it’s not attractive nor function to people in the sense that its just there and I see it, a useable plaza with the same level of vegetation that is function would still play the same role the berm plays.

2 Likes

Screen grabs from today’s Zoom presentation:

6 Likes

Thanks for posting those! I wanted to make the zoom but was busy.

As it pertains to the “A Spectrum of Ideas” slide, the 1st option is completely pointless, that won’t solve any of the issues but make traffic worse for the time that it is being permanently built out, which won’t even really change anything meaningfully, why is that one even an option/idea.

The 2nd option is interesting, but what happens to Vanderbilt Ave? Is it consolidated with Prospect Park West which, unlike Vanderbilt, is a one way? The 3rd option “is” the 2nd option but with The Eastern Pkwy and Union St conjunction closed.

I’m wondering if this discussion should be it’s own thread.

Yeah…option 1 is lame. As always, it came down to money. DOT doesn’t have the budget to afford a big reconstruction, they are trying to get as much input from the neighbors, so they can go back to the City and ask for money.
It was interesting to see Vanderbilt as part of the project.

1 Like

I hear Home Depot has a Black Friday sale going on green paint…

3 Likes

I made a thread for it here, as it will become a major topic of discussion… NEW YORK | Pedestrianized/Consolidated Grand Army Plaza Plan

4 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-21/is-weed-legal-in-new-york-only-when-you-buy-from-these-license-winners

2 Likes

Let’s go! I expect an explosion of this business in the state.

1 Like

Still, only 175 licenses?