NEW YORK | The Spiral (66 Hudson Blvd) | 1,040 FT | 66 FLOORS

AAcerbo

12 Likes

Night lighting scheme.

Imagine if this building tapered to be 500M+ ……

6 Likes

The way you’ve depicted it would be nearly 750m, not 500m. And considering there’s nothing that special about the design, no, I personally could not imagine if this building tapered to be 500m much less 750m.

1 Like

Yes or no?

5 Likes

That depends, you’ve depicted it as ~650m and it would be nearly 3 times wider than shown, but my point still stands that the building design is nothing special, so it’s still a hard no.

I rather like it. The design would taper from the base up to the top.

3 Likes

The spiraling lighting should be red, white and blue…

1 Like

I think that’s pretty self explanatory since that’s what it’s doing as it exists now. But being realistic for a second, this building has a very specific geometry to it’s spiral, it’s not just a random pattern that can be repeated (copy and pasted) on top of itself because that is not an accurate depiction of what that continuation would look like. If the spiral were to continue, it would have to stop at about 700m before the space no longer becomes usable, and the taper/spiral would not be at a “straight” inclined angle as is shown in just copy and pasting a diagram of it, the angle starts to turn into a curve towards the top and makes it look squat.

3 Likes

I sometimes get starry-eyed about these buildings because I do see them as a mark of human progress, but in the end they were built to make the land pay.

They are fundamentally machines of capitalism, dressed—economically—to please or at least not offend, but maybe dreaming a little doesn’t hurt anybody.

Personally I’m happy with how this one turned out; even if we haven’t seen the final lighting scheme or terrace greenery I’m very glad this one and 50 HY aren’t in each other’s positions.

The Spiral is much more visually pleasing and I’m glad its exposed to better viewing lines, esp. from the North.

1 Like

I mean, as far as the lighting goes, I think what we mostly see “is” actually the end result, it’s just that the complaint has been made that the office lighting clashes too much with the lighting featured on the setbacks that it becomes almost unclear/undistinguishable. The vegetation will of course continue to change with seasons and minimally in size but it’s also all installed. There was a photo posted a while back that actually showed it very well on the highest part of the building.

But I actually like 50 Hudson Yards for the geometry and materials of it’s facade, the massing may be extremely simple compared to this one, but that’s not a bad thing. I think the spiral affect could have been done better if it wasn’t following such a stringent pattern that relies on it being lined up, a result that makes some parts disproportional to others. And then there’s the terrible enormous mech floor louvers that just look slapped on.

But overall it will definitely always be most visible from the Northeast/East since the development north of it will not be anywhere near the same size.

4 Likes

I am not an architect by any means, but thank you for your criticism; I am only an amateur user of photoshop and work on diagrams in my free time. If anyone else would like to design a better render according to TKDV’s specifications, please feel free to go ahead.

I think any design that reaches 700M would be good for New York.

3 Likes

There’s no need to explain yourself :+1:

My grace period is almost over, but this only took me a few mins because I already had the building modeled. It’s at 700m exactly, and you can see the “curve” i was talking about in the silhouette, a very stretched out and subtle logarithmic curve instead of the straight angle that would come out of a more “proportioned” (I can’t think of the right word) form where the stepping is not linear. Also visible is the quickening of the stepping intervals closer to the top, this is what creates the curve. It looks like an auger shell. I have a slightly better opinion about it, but the stepping kind of becomes over bearing past what exists now. I wouldn’t necessarily want it built.

Mathematically, the stacking of the form ontop of one another is also not possible (as I tried) because the proportions of the base of the tower (not including the podium) are different then the top proportions, this is what creates the linear silhouette in your own edits.

7 Likes

Very ziggurat! And fitting too as the ziggurat was the most prominent building in the earliest human civilizations.

2 Likes

The lighting actually looks visible from that angle. On other angles, not so much.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Reminds me of Sunday School when I was a kid, the pictures depicting the Tower of Babel.

4 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/Co2xvZtPEHV/

15 Likes

18 Likes

This is a nice one. Shows the grime and grit of the old New York, and the shine and sheen of the modern New York. Love how the corners line up, too.

8 Likes
3 Likes