NEW YORK | The Brooklyn Tower (9 DeKalb Ave) | 1,073 FT | 74 FLOORS

29 Likes

This is a VIBE

6 Likes

This tower is gorgeous and would make for an incredible megatall if it was 1000 feet taller.

2 Likes

Great photo 5B! You are an artist.

1 Like

Thanks guys. Dramatic weather = dramatic photo ( + the view down Flatbush is iconic).

4 Likes

Looks like they could still be adding height to the crown spires

21 Likes

They won’t go taller than the aviation lighting, which you can see in the close-ups.

3 Likes

Ah,gotcha - so the white pole on the soutwest side is the aviation lighting then. When are they required to put that up, as soon as the building tops out? I haven’t noticed it before.

EDIT: Also curious what those brass U-brackets would be for…

1 Like

The U-shape things, depending on which you mean, may be what I think is the aviation lighting. They often come in pairs for redundancy.

1 Like

I definitely see 2 but…am I looking at 4?

3 Likes

Four pairs.

3 Likes

The rods for the aviation lighting (which is indeed what the yellow U shaped objects are) and the lightning rod went up in January at the same time the supporting steel for the crown extensions were installed. There are 6, one in each corner. But yes, I’d say in general that they are installed once a building tops out.

7 Likes

Thank you both for filling in the lacunae in my lightning rod & aviation light knowledge!

4 Likes

Right. I believe aviation lighting is required during all phases of construction once the project reaches a certain height, but it is simply installed on the crane(s) until the building tops out.

3 Likes

Imgur

Brooklyn’s first supertall is ridiculous! The quality is insane!

23 Likes

Love the juxtaposition of 1 Hanson Place / 9 Dekalb in this. The former is 95(!) years old and half the height. It was the tallest building in Brooklyn for 80 years.

6 Likes

From JC. To the left of Gehry

10 Likes

Are there any “Brooklyn Tower viable” sites around in DTBK?

Basically like is there anywhere Brooklyn could get another one of these.

1 Like

This tower was likely just a one-off. However, it is a signal to all the other boroughs that Brooklyn is ready for a higher form of development.

the_maroni_team

amonelam

17 Likes