NEW YORK | Radio Tower and Hotel (2420 Amsterdam Ave) | 295 FT | 22 FLOORS

It’s between these two for the ugliest building going up in New York right now.

I very sincerely wish that these two towers represented the ugliest of present day NYC. But alas . . .

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll take weirdo Eurotrash like this over el cheapo Gene Kaufman or Peter Poon junk any day.

4 Likes

Exactly.

3 Likes
2 Likes

It’s really not that bad in the context of the dingy and depressing Bridge towers.

1 Like

Field Condition: Radio Tower and Hotel

What a disaster. As if Washington Heights doesn’t have enough blight.

1 Like

Developers and starchitects seem to enjoy foisting this hostile architecture on Harlem.

2 Likes

“Starchitects”

:face_vomiting:

Very correct observation. There seems to be this obsession with using faddish public/charter school architecture on residential and commercial buildings for adults in upper manhattan/outer boroughs. It’s weird and infantilizing IMO. These areas deserve mature, sophisticated architecture, not Crayola-colored block buildings:

This is in the Bronx for seniors but it has fire engine red plastic trim

Housing for the poor in primary colors that looks like its made of LEGO bricks

recent example of elementary school architecture is indistinguishable from these projects for adults

Notice that all the historical architecture in these neighborhoods is sophisticated tan/grey brick towers with stone trim. Beats me why they don’t just build more of that. I mean, I’m glad there’s so much construction in these neighborhoods these days (this absolutely does not happen in other cities’ comparable neighborhoods)— but the architecture is bonkers and I would love to hear what the locals’ opinions are on this stuff

3 Likes

The most egregious one is Adjaye’s Sugar Hill building:

1 Like

I used to drive by that thing a lot. Always wondered what it was.

2 Likes

6 Likes

crayon

3 Likes

This one is simply ugly. Crayons actually can create beauty! But not here.

Maybe it’s named after the movie “Radio”:

1 Like

Plain ugly.

9 Likes