NEW YORK | Penn Station Expansion/Improvements

Rebuild the original Penn

I would be in favor of an original replica of the original Penn, yes I know this is very unlikely.

7 Likes
4 Likes

This is going to be a giant mess but I guess it needs to be done.

1 Like

Another related project is being planned.

3 Likes

I wonder how much faster the Gateway will make the whole NEC?

1 Like

The Portal Bridge alone will remove delays relating to it being stuck open because it’s old and decrepit, no more having to open and stop trains to marine traffic and related issues. With the eventual new tunnels, there will be 2 new tracks leading into Penn as well, doubling capacity.

Gateway’s purpose is to fix the problem of decrepit infrastructure leading into Penn and improving capacity and redundancy there.

In terms of actual speed on the rest of the NEC, Amtrak conducted improvements in a part of NJ to permit speeds of up to 150 MPH.
https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/infrastructure/article/21271063/amtrak-to-run-150-mph-trains-along-16mile-segment-of-nec

3 Likes

Hopefully Amtrak can eventually get enough money for an actual dedicated HSR in the NEC. Unlikely though because the profitable NEC has carry the rest of the nations unprofitable routes, with minimal help from the government, or at least past governments.

Dedicated HSR for the NEC would be prohibitively expensive and would most likely require a lot of eminent domain, especially since it passes through many quite densely populated areas to add tracks just for HSR.

2 Likes

And so it would be expensive, still needs to be done eventually. I believe Amtrak estimates are 151 billion or something like that?

That sounds very low.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

This can’t keep happening. This can’t be every single project.
I tolerated ESA because by the time I got into development it was already basically complete.
I could have a kid today, and by the projected time of this projects completion they would be almost out of high-school.

4 Likes

This project keeps getting sidelined for no reason. No governor along with the president have not pushed hard enough for it to get built despite the fact it’s an incredibly important project. By the time this thing is finished, it’ll be billions over budget and several decades late.

This project has become a political football as well. With a change in administration in Washington, whoever it is can easily halt construction just to stick it to the New York/North East region as we’ve seen before. It’s sad really.

2 Likes

What is this site 7 1900 footer?!?

1 Like

Look over the convo we had yesterday

3 Likes

^^ Yeah, there is no actual 1900’ proposal, just some poor reporting.

This kind of thinking drives me crazy honestly. I want all of America to succeed, including parts of the country I don’t agree with. This attitude is grimy, selfish, and pathetic.

4 Likes