NEW YORK | Penn Station Expansion/Improvements

No shit. Please calm down.

10 Likes

I tend to only peruse through 007’s substantial posts and replies, but I believe some of his comments are reflective of a communication/language barrier. Regardless, it doesn’t bother me.

6 Likes

He reminds me of the david guy that always used to comment on every YIMBY news article

4 Likes

lol I seen David. I think that’s a bot someone created.

2 Likes

Not directly related to the renovation of the station itself, but this project is just as important. Construction is finally kicking off for a new Portal Bridge.

14 Likes
5 Likes

Looks great, especially all the light. But obviously the station needs a whole lot more.

3 Likes

The floor should be replaced as well. Its quite gross.

1 Like

Though I agree, from this render, it doesn’t look like it will be replaced, probably just cleaned/buffed out, similar to what appears has been done on the floor closer to the construction barrier/wall where it is whiter/lighter.

8 Likes

Hello everyone, it’s been a while since I posted. You will see more openings around Labor Day, shops won’t be open up until late 22’ to March 23’.

18 Likes

I assume this is MTA concourses. NJT doesn’t get any love lol.

Either way, it looks really good so far and is a major improvement over the current facilities.

5 Likes

Lol I saw a comment on the nycrail subreddit

“They used to be 148 ft high”

4 Likes
1 Like

Well the fact that the article is even comparing it to Grand Central Terminal’s ceiling is kind of absurd.

Of course it’s not GCT, duh, but I’m sure it will look better when the lights are programmed to change colors, hopefully that aspect hasnt been valued out.

2 Likes

Oh please no. Just because we can, doesn’t mean we have to. I think plain white lighting is 1000x classier.

4 Likes

It looks a little too sterile to just be static, especially in the monotonous grid pattern it’s laid out in, I don’t particularly want it to be extremely vivid and flashy in color tones/depth, but if it’s an extremely slow moving/changing and calm toned hue, I’d prefer that over the static white.

But even outside of the ceiling treatment, it looks like the columns also have LED screens on them that are projecting bluish hues as depicted in the renders. But I’m questionable as to the fact if those are actual LED screens or just bluish hued aluminum panels, the construction photo of the corridor makes it look like they are LED screens.

One of the photos by the MTA indicated they do have the capability to change colour. Note the single pastel purple-coloured panel.

Imgur

7 Likes

Its literally just a standard room with lights in it. Boring!

Oh would you prefer they added the waterslide before or after the lights?

4 Likes

Can’t please everyone. I’m personally elated to see something decent happen to Penn in my lifetime.

4 Likes