NEW YORK | Penn Station Expansion/Improvements

As long as that hideous facade remains, MSG is still an eyesore. I don’t know what they are thinking.

5 Likes

It’s my understanding that the city can force them to move, but that the governor can override the city, and Cuomo intends to do that.

1 Like

Yes, if they’re going to stay there the least they can do is redesign the facade of the arena. It makes the area look dingy.

2 Likes

Who knows anything is possible, at least people are fighting back against this plan and cuomo is in hot water right now

2 Likes

That’s true.

Does this plan include the new empire station area skyscrapers or not?

That I know of no it doesn’t

1 Like

The two-story 8th Avenue entrance is the superior option.

Hopefully MSG will decide to reclad the exterior once the state finalized their plans for Penn Station.

1 Like

I am all for a complete overhaul of the Penn District, but it needs to be done right. NYC can’t afford more half-baked schemes and lipstick on a pig. Penn Station is completely inadequate for the city’s 21st century transportation needs, and the surrounding area is an economic and architectural dead zone that should be transformed into a new business district. So don’t get me wrong, I’m not a NIMBY who wants the area to remain trapped in amber.

But this is not the way to do it. This is another lipstick on a pig scheme that doesn’t address core problems. NYC can’t afford to kick the can any longer here. I sincerely hope whoever the next Mayor and Governor are will scrap this trash plan and put forward something with vision. I hope the Dolans get kicked out and I hope Vornado is left in the dust, since they’ve let this neighborhood rot for years.

11 Likes

Very well said!

1 Like

Well, I wouldn’t complain about such project, but a MSG recladding is necessary.

If they are going to put lipstick on a pig I prefer this reclad idea from a few years ago. I also support this 8th Ave entrance version:

Looks too nice tho so probably won’t happen.

7 Likes

MSG is like a fat jerk at a BBQ who keeps eating all the food before anyone else can get any. And the other guests are arguing amongst themselves about how to make the BBQ better for everyone like going to the corner store for more chips and a case of beer, but no one is stepping up and kicking the fat guy out of the party.

3 Likes

Yikes. Like splashing a gallon of paint on lipstick on a pig.

2 Likes

It’s not just that MSG is bad exterior architecture, is in the wrong spot, and is not part of a larger infrastructure project to really redo Penn Station. It’s also a terrible arena with seats blocked by vertical support structures in the balcony and sight lines for many seats that stink. I went there once to see a hockey game and have no plans to return for a second round.

5 Likes

A friend of mine let out the most impressive belch I’ve ever heard in MSG. It echoed off the ceiling and players on the court turned around to look.

7 Likes

better out than in, and up rather than down.

1 Like
4 Likes

Great news.

Article is behind a paywall. What’s the summary? Anything we haven’t heard already?

1 Like