NEW YORK | Penn 15 (401 7th Ave) | 1,200 FT | 61 FLOORS

Only the information about the construction cranes no more.

1 Like

they need to demolish the hotel building first.

if they are putting up a tower crane to assist the demolition, that liebherr is the crane that will build the tower crane. the tower crane will likely be a favco, yes.

3 Likes
2 Likes

^The person who wrote that article has no idea what they are talking about. The Penn 15 Development while in the same region as the Penn redevelopment has no connection to it at all and will go through regardless of the state of the Penn redevelopment.

2 Likes

A photomontage I’ve made with my model of 15 Penn; the northern elevator core facade is entirely my speculation, with the shear wall/column layout based on the floor plans shown in a Vornado brochure.

Original photo by Brian Aronson, on Flickr

16 Likes

This thing is a beast.

Have we seen renderings from the north or is this your interpretation? Looks less blank wall then I imagined (which is great).

Oddly reminds me of the ESB in this pic.

3 Likes

Is there anything to the west of ESB in front of Midtown East to promote large development such as the Penn Towers?

2 Likes

This building should be much taller than the Empire State Building in my opinion. At least 1400 ft roof height to get a wow factor. At 1270, it’s just not there yet.

4 Likes

I’m fine with it, it’s cool. The midtown plateau needs to get up to a taller height anyways, so I will take the win here if it means that formation moves up from a 500-600 foot height to a 1,100-1,200 foot height.

2 Likes

Wow. This is a great render! And awesome shot @baronson

5 Likes

Thanks Skyalign!

The look of the north wall is just my interpretation, with the elevator configuration based on some floorplans shown in Vornado’s Penn District brochure:

I’ve taken inspiration from Foster’s 425 Park Avenue for the exterior finishes, as they both have a similar layout with a glass strip between each pair of elevator banks. I’ve given my 15 Penn model a metallic finish on the north wall similar to 425 Park’s, punctuated by the giant I-beams unique to Foster’s 15 Penn.

6 Likes

Based on that plan, the north wall does look completely blank

I looked at the image from Vornado’s brochure a bit more closely, and while the wall may be blank, there seem to be windows in the elevator banks and associated corridors, so it will not be an entirely blank wall which is quite a relief. I’ve outlined the windows in the snippet of the floor plan below.

5 Likes

I swear if there is a 1,200 ft blank concrete wall down the block from the ESB…

3 Likes

Just imagine the view from Top of the Rock looking south at that towering blank wall…

1 Like

well I doubt that will happen anyway, if only to give tenants better all around views and lighting.

That is exactly my interpretation! I’ve modeled a couple of designs I think the north wall could have:

Left is based on the design of 425 Park Avenue, with solid metallic cladding over the elevator shafts and glass strips over the access corridors. The right features glass elevators, based on a Foster + Partners building currently under construction in my home town which has a very similar elevator core layout:

10 Likes

^ It could be better, but then again almost anything is better than a plain concrete wall.

A rendering featuring the towers of Midtown East in the background:

Original photo by Brian Aronson, on Flickr

20 Likes

Wow! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes