New York Metropolitan Vintage Photo/Video Collection

New York 1940s in Color!, Driving Downtown [60fps,Remastered] added sound

New York City in the 1940s was buzzing with activity, with the population of Manhattan almost reaching 2 million inhabitants. first shot is heading uptown on 8th Avenue. Madison Square Garden is on the left at 1:22​, at 50th Street. 1:38​ is 5th avenue, looking uptown, at 59th street. 4:55​ seems to be a crosstown street, (which?) with many stooped apartment buildings, possibly midtown (Thx dvtvrich) Video Restoration Process: :heavy_check_mark: FPS boosted to 60 frames per second :heavy_check_mark: Image resolution boosted up to HD :heavy_check_mark: Improved video sharpness and brightness :heavy_check_mark: Colorized only for the ambiance (not historically accurate) :heavy_check_mark:added sound only for the ambiance :heavy_check_mark:restoration:(stabilisation,denoise,deblur)

11 Likes

Circa 1966. Rare shots of Wall Street and the older buildings surrounding it, 140 Broadway under construction, and a very rare zoom in on the top of the Singer Building

7 Likes

Makes for a nice wallpaper

11 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM53uFuDJvi/

14 Likes

From the NYC DCP Collection:

12 Likes

Western Electric Building

Fugly Finance School

AT&T Building ft. Hudson Terminal and 165 Broadway Buildings

Night shot ft. Singer Building and 172 Fulton St

9 Likes

October 27, 1945

Source

12 Likes

I wish you a lot of fun with your egg hunt. :smiley:

Happy Easter 2021

7 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLy4L-jJ1H/?igshid=19erqtdg1mb50

8 Likes

For good Friday, same year

6 Likes

That was just Wall Street warning thieves and people who attack money changers.

1 Like

Nice! I found some more buildings

8 Likes

12 Likes

The lights of the Grand Central District from 1932.

View from the Irving Trust Building into the depths of the Wall Street

The sun is shining in the Grand Central Terminal.

„ Modern Babylon: New York the city of towers“

The painting is based on an original aerial photograph from 1932.

Collection Mackensen

12 Likes

Some of the film The April Fools from 1969 is set in 140 Broadway, and on occasion in the film you can see outside buildings (albeit projected, and distorted) i.e. the Washington Life Building and 135 Broadway Building.

8 Likes

135 Broadway rendering

In the background behind 140 Broadway

Undated

5 Likes

Addition to the Fidelity & Casualty Co. Building, New York

Home Office

A spacious entrance lobby, the walls of which are of plain gray granite, gives upon a corridor which runs the full depth of the building and extending through the old building is continued to the next street. The walls of this corridor are wainscoted to a height of about four feet, with brown glazed tile laid in brick pattern. Above the wainscoting, the walls are of plaster, finished in a neutral brown tint.

In addition to three rapid passenger elevators, the building posesses every modern device for safety, comfort and utility, and in its entirely is emblematic of the scientifically businesslike character of the age.

-Architects’ Builders Magazine

7 Likes

Nice find IhateUSsteel

I’m guessing the little white building is the rest of the old North American Trust Building.

Rendering from the Washington Life Building.

Sometime in the 1950s, the entrance to the Washington Life Building was being renovated.

9 Likes

Awesome findings, especially the one from what was left from 135 Broadway!
Some weeks ago I managed to find great materials from the 1890s em 1900s in engineering and architectural periodicals, but I saved them all in a pen-drive and forgot it at my cousin’s house. While I’m too lazy to find those again and I prefer to have them when I get it back, I’d suggest you to look especially in The Engineering Record, that’s paradise!

4 Likes

I also have many interesting architecture articles in my collection about New York skyscrapers between 1890 and 1925 (only in german).

3 Likes