NEW YORK | LaGuardia Airport Renovation

I think the main issue/problem with LGA right now is the airfield and the configuration of the runways. I’m glad to see the terminals being revamped ( it was urgently necessary). But in the long run don’t expect much increase in capacity. The runways are the shortest in the northeast for such a prominent airport and it’s bounded by neighborhoods and Flushing bay. Not much options available to expand.

tjr101 is correct that this renovation is not really focused on capacity/expansion. It’s more about replacing decrepit buildings with ones that don’t look “third world”. I don’t think it adds many — if any — gates in total.

BUT there is one key improvement that removes some bottlenecks and therefore could improve overall daily capacity a bit: the new taxiways under the new skybridges. Planes will now be able to pull out from a gate and move either toward the runway or toward the terminal building. So if another plane is in the way, they can just go the other way. This should mean fewer “traffic jams” with planes pulling into and out of gates.

This might just mean fewer delays, but if airlines had previously been limiting their schedules to account for such delays (as they were apparently common), then we might see airlines adjusting schedules to use the gates and runways at closer to full capacity.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXetXuGts5H/?utm_medium=copy_link
An aerial view of LaGuardia airport in December 2021

3 Likes

Per NYguy:
ttps://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/27/n…ompletion.html

’From Worst to Best’: Gleaming New La Guardia Terminal Opens

By Patrick McGeehan
Jan. 27, 2022

Quote:

For decades, La Guardia Airport was one of the most maligned airports in the country — leaky ceilings, cramped corridors, regular rodent sightings and broken escalators set a standard for the dreadful travel experience.

But on Thursday, the views and reviews were far different as state and local officials celebrated the airport’s revival upon the completion of a wholly new main terminal that shares nothing but a name and location with the old La Guardia along the Queens waterfront.

The transformation has been so remarkable that the terminal was declared the best new airport building in the world by an international panel of judges.

Quote:

”We’ve really gone from worst to best and I love it,” said Gov. Kathy Hochul, at a news conference in the last section of the terminal to open to the public, a sunlit skybridge that connects to 35 spacious new gates and offers a glimpse of the Manhattan skyline.

Despite the fanfare, the $8 billion overhaul of La Guardia is not yet complete. The construction of a second terminal by Delta Air Lines is scheduled to conclude by late spring, said Rick Cotton, the executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the three big airports that serve the city.

But Mr. Cotton expressed relief at reaching another milestone in the yearslong campaign to revitalize the region’s airports. “I literally do not believe there was a single person who thought that the ambition to make La Guardia a world-class airport would be achieved,” he said.

Quote:

Adrienne Adams, the City Council speaker, who said she worked as a flight attendant for five years after college, called the new terminal “a shining example of New York’s potential for a full recovery” from the coronavirus pandemic.
The pandemic actually helped speed construction at the airport because it depressed air travel for much of the past two years, allowing major work without disrupting too many travelers. In 2020, the number of passengers using La Guardia dropped by nearly 23 million, or 73 percent, before recovering gradually through most of last year.

Quote:

The Port Authority, which is jointly controlled by the governors of New York and New Jersey, also operates Kennedy International Airport in Queens and Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey. Both those airports are a focus of the agency’s biggest-ever rebuilding campaign.

At Newark Liberty, an enormous, $2.7 billion terminal is being built to replace Terminal A. At Kennedy, Ms. Hochul has endorsed the agency’s plans for an overhaul that would include construction of a $9.5 billion international terminal.

But La Guardia is much closer to the finish line. On Thursday, travelers with memories of how unpleasant the airport had long been marveled at the makeover.

Quote:

“It’s like night and day,” said Annie Coakley, 46, of Chicago.

“When I got off the plane I was on a call with my brother and I said ‘Oh my God! They’ve done a big change here!’” she said. “The whole place is so bright and it looks very architectural, sharp, and it’s clean.”

Travelers used to race through the concourses trying to avoid making contact with any surfaces. Now they dawdle, watching the images projected onto a water fountain and taking selfies in front of art works that cover the walls.

“When you get off the plane it’s just so open and big,” said Chip Dehart, 53, of Phoenix, who was visiting with his wife, Saleta, 51.

“When we first started coming here it was really run-down, bathrooms were yucky, and we hated it for sure,” Ms. Dehart said. “I was just admiring the tile in the bathroom and it’s beautiful. The rainbow colors are beautiful.”

The enthusiasm was so contagious at the airport that Donovan Richards Jr., the Queens borough president, engaged in some magical thinking: “I don’t think La Guardia’s going to be the butt of any more jokes,” he said.

2 Likes

Per mrnyc:

Review of Terminal B

“Enter La Guardia Airport’s Terminal B from the side door, next to the parking structure, and you walk down a hallway paved with polychrome light. Look up, and you see sunshine flowing through a translucent cityscape affixed to the glass façade and cascading on the floor — an artwork by Sabine Hornig. Alternatively, come in via the front driveway, roll your bag across a wide curbless sidewalk, and you’ll find yourself in a ticketing area that’s clean, bright, airy, and self-explanatory — everything a functional airport should be and La Guardia has not been for decades. Those first impressions — one of character, the other of clarity — combine to express the new building’s ambitions”

2 Likes
2 Likes

End of an Era :v::handshake:

14 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

I find it crazy that the actual building phase of this project was so short. Oh what we could accomplish as a society is we could just get along and not be so greedy.

2 Likes

Ladies and Gentlemen, they’ve done it

The renderings.

11 Likes

If only they made EWR this good… :cry: The more I see the actual city airports get really nice night and day difference makeovers, the more disappointing Newark looks in comparison.

LGA is possibly the best NYC airport right now in terms of appearance and passenger experience regardless of available transit.

4 Likes

What a turn around from the dumpster this place used to be!

3 Likes

I hope from now until the end of time urban planners will learn that when it comes to public spaces / infrastructure, tall ceilings are EVERYTHING!

6 Likes
3 Likes

There are some pictures I haven’t seen in this one, my god it looks amazing

2 Likes
2 Likes

In addition to the news about JFK, I also found out that the remaining half of Delta’s Terminal C is going to be kept and not demolished. Instead of completely demolishing it and building a new terminal/concourse (like the rest of all the other junky terminals at LGA have), they are simply going to ‘reskin’ the remaining pieces to match the look of the new Terminal.

Truly lipstick on a pig.

2 Likes

Why is that an issue if something can be repurposed?

All airports built between 1945 and 1990 should be torn down. That entire era is just awful for public transport hubs.

2 Likes