NEW YORK | JFK Airport Renovation/Upgrades

An updated Environmental Assessment for the JFK project–published on December 16–provides quite a bit of new info. It shows diagrams implying the full GTC as planned before 2020 is to be built, and further reaffirms that there will be a T1-T4 airside connector. It also shows a T4 extension timeline set to occur through Q4 2026, implying the full T4A extension might be happening after all. Perhaps they’ll announce something ahead of the opening of the current phase next year?

It also appears the number of terminal zones is being reduced from 3 to 2, and one of the appendices confirms that the terminals will become lettered A-E. Additionally, the Van Wyck will exclusively serve the south terminal area, and the JFK Expressway will serve the north terminal area.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.panynj.gov%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2Fport-authority%2Fabout%2Fstudies-and-reports-pdfs%2FJFKR-Draft-Supplemental-EA.pdf&psig=AOvVaw2cSv-PVJBrcv7HNZWgEAzf&ust=1672182992971000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CBEQjhxqFwoTCPilm5y1mPwCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

1 Like

Delta’s finally moving out of T2. According to their website, all operations will be at T4 on the 10th. I expect they’ll begin demolition promptly, considering how quickly they tore down the green garage and T2 Airtrain station.

3 Likes

This will be pretty short-lived with the coming of Terminal 6.

1 Like

Terminal 2’s days are numbered. Once it’s demolished they can go full speed on T1’s construction.

1 Like

Queens Patch has a real knack for headlines.

Glad to see the big projects picking up speed. Once T2 is gone the T1 site will be unified–can’t wait to see how it progresses.

Additionally, the other day when I visited I saw ground has been broken for T6, though no ceremony has been held yet.

1 Like

They really do have to fix the bottle neck that is the Airtrain/subway transfer. It’s always a confusion there even for locals.

1 Like

They really do. Now that so many people are using OMNY but the PA doesn’t support that yet, the lines at the MetroCard machines are absolutely out of control. They need to fast-track OMNY support at those turnstiles, and/or have them take “cash” directly via phone tapping (Apple Pay / Google Pay, the way MTA turnstiles do now.) Better yet, just make the damn thing free. It’s completely backwards that it’s cheaper for a family to take a taxi to JFK than to take the train.

They’re not even doing the super-obvious temporary solutions. Now that OMNY is rolled out and popular, surely the MTA doesn’t need quite as many MetroCard machines throughout the system? Can’t they just move a bunch to those AirTrain stations for now?

3 Likes

T2 is now closed.

5 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

That solar array news for T1 is actually quite impressive. For a terminal of this size to be completely grid independent using solar energy is pretty rare right now, especially around here. Would be cool if they could apply this to the other terminals as well.

France recently passed a law that all parking garages and lots must have solar over them. I think that’s very smart. With the massive parking lots around our airports, it’s silly that they’re not covered in solar already.

3 Likes

EWR’s new garage has solar panels on the top as well, so it seems like the Port Authority is considering it although LGA didn’t get that treatment to my knowledge.

1 Like

All of the garages are privately developed with the PA being a leaseholder.

The decision for solar has been made by the developer of each garage.

CONRAC at EWR, LGA Gateway Partners at Terminal B, and Delta at Terminal C

2 Likes

Not just the garages, but the lots, too. Like the acres and acres of long-term parking at EWR and JFK. Are those privately-run as well?

There’s now a JFK Redevelopment Newsletter that’s sent out quarterly. The most recent edition puts the official T6 groundbreaking date at February 23rd. I was at the airport a few weeks ago and was happy to see that early works were underway. It also mentioned that at some point during Q2 the T1 Airtrain station will close (again) for a period of 8 months.

They post their newsletters here

When the airtrain closes, steel will start. Call it 5/1 on paper.

Looks like the JFK website put a new rendering of the entire complex. Sadly, it is 100% confirmed we are getting that super lame version of the T4 expansion.

The latest newsletter puts a bit of emphasis on the T4 project as well and includes some pictures of some stuff there.

1 Like

Wow. That really shows the scale of the new T1, and it’s much larger than I imagined.