NEW YORK | JFK Airport Renovation/Upgrades

Iberia and other oneworld members are setting up residence at Terminal 8. Japan Airlines will move in sometime during May.

2 Likes

AA and BA unveiled the new lounges at T8 today, all of which are set to open on Thursday. These are actually really nice; it’s now clear to me why this project was so expensive: 1st look: American Airlines, British Airways unveil 3 gorgeous lounges in JFK's Terminal 8 - The Points Guy

4 Likes

More looks at the lame “expansion.” Those lounges are really nice though.

The faster the oneworld members vacate Terminal 7, the faster that nice Terminal 6 can start being built.

5 Likes

whelmed to see that the tradition of horrible, cookie-cutter looking hotels near airports is being continued.

1 Like

What a surprise. It’s a shame they’re not planning to build the full “JFK Central” area anymore–was hoping they’d build another on-site hotel atop it to compete with TWA.

It’d be awesome if the PA could incorporate a hotel into the new Terminal 1 itself similar to how the Hamad International Airport has its own hotel. That would be a major benefit to travelers since if they’re stuck there they don’t have to leave the terminal. Sadly that is only wishful thinking and will not happen.

I’m thinking the TWA hotel may have it written in contract with the PA to not allow any other on site hotels.

i dont think the PA would ever agree to such a thing.

Terminal 7 is under new management.

2 Likes

1 Like

do we have any confirmation that the new terminal one will be properly connected to T4? because in the latest renders you can’t really tell

@sebastianagudel The only “confirmation” that a connection exists is via hints in the Environmental Assessment that was conducted which indicates a passage to T4 from T1.

Looks like they brought back the T1 to T4 airside connection at JFK which vanished with the redesign of Terminal 1. It’s going to make connecting flights much easier between these two terminals now. It also seems Delta’s bringing back the full concourse expansion at T4 instead of that slop-job they decided to do.

T4 also has this little ‘stub’ appendage that looks like it will be expanded and used to connect to Terminal 1.

It appears to be utilised as a part of the Terminal 1 connector in the Environmental Assessment as well.

1 Like

The monthly T1 M/W/LBE meetings consistently use a diagram showing phase A with the added connector. It’s colored purple and circled in red, but there’s no label indicating why. Rather annoying.

Seeing the image of phase A and the existing T1 together makes me worry they could pull a T8 and stop work on the new terminal before it’s finished. I’m hoping they won’t do that, but we won’t know for years to come.

As far as current construction goes, they’re moving along pretty quickly. Green garage and T2 airtrain station are completely gone, and it looks like the foundation’s going in. The area where the east concourse will go on the T3 ramp is also fenced off, I expect they’ll begin digging that up soon.

3 Likes

Looks like landside T6 construction begins on/around the 28th. Level 1 of the Yellow Garage is expected to close on that date to accommodate. That garage can get pretty crowded as it is now–might want to consider using the Orange Garage if you want to park near the terminal.

1 Like
2 Likes

Corgan, the architect of the new T6, made a page on their website for the project. It’s got some slightly updated renders, as well as descriptions of the new spaces. The idea of a multi-story atrium at immigration sounds rather nice–wonder how they’re going to fit that into such a space-constrained site. JFK Terminal 6 Development | Corgan

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to T1 and T6 since these two are the most exciting. T4’s pretty sad and T8’s pathetic.

On the topic of the architect, it seems Corgan also worked on LGA’s Terminal C so I expect a very good result on T6 since LGA’s C is very nice.

Here are some of the renders from that page for all to enjoy. The ones I am showing here I’ve never seen before so that’s exciting. Quite sad there are no interior renders though.

I found two articles that show some interior renderings but they’re about a year old so these renderings are subject to change.

2 Likes

I can’t wait to see more interior renderings especially of T1. I think we already have an idea of what they look like from the outside.

1 Like

There are plenty of renderings of what’s inside T1. From what I’ve seen, it’s quite nice and much needed for JFK.

9 Likes