NEW YORK | JFK Airport Renovation/Upgrades

A previous post (quoted below) cites a PANYNJ document regarding the terminals being renamed to likely have a consistent naming instead of “1 4 5 6 8” it will be “A B C D E” which makes more sense.

9 Likes

Some pictures from the Airtrain last Sunday of what I believe is the terminal addition to Terminal 5 (I want to call it 6).

15 Likes

Some updates on the two new terminals. Terminal One’s bow-tie roof is now complete, and curtain wall installation is ahead of schedule. Apologies for low-quality images.

I believe the concrete structure here is for the new electrical substation 2.

Baggage system installation is also underway. Found a render of how it’ll look too.

Over on the north side, they cut the ribbon on T5’s newly relocated gate 30 yesterday, enabling construction to continue on T6 phase 1’s airside. Curtain wall installation continues to advance, and baggage system installation has begun here as well.

I’m impressed with how both projects seem to be well-coordinated with one another and at similar stages of construction. I wonder if they’ll both open at the same time?

18 Likes

Invaluable updates!

2 Likes

Bad rainy pic

18 Likes

The AirTrain should have been free to use from the start.

5 Likes

Few months old, but interior shot of the future immigration hall:

7 Likes

I really like Detroit’s airport. This tram is one big reason why.

JFK Terminal 1 rendering by The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, on Flickr

JFK Terminal 6 rendering by The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, on Flickr

JFK Aerial by The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, on Flickr

JFK Terminal 1 Construction Progress by The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, on Flickr

JFK Terminal 6 construction progress by The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, on Flickr

14 Likes

More interior shots of T1 for you guys. First one is taken landside just left of the center of the new arrivals hall, and the second is taken from the west side of the airside retail/dining atrium. Still digging the tree columns!

11 Likes

More construction at Terminal 8 to start soon.

General disruptions to normal traffic at the airport are expected to continue due to T1 and T6 as well.

6 Likes

Very exciting. It looks like the construction at T8 has actually begun already, based on the photos of the ribbon cutting I’ve seen.

3 Likes

T8’s construction has been rather wild. Unlike the rest of the renovations at the airport, it’s being done in pieces as when the new concourse was added, the press would then say “renovations were complete” only for a second set of renovations elsewhere in the terminal to start shortly after.

3 Likes

Agreed. I don’t think this current renovation, focusing on concessions, was originally planned, but based on the renders it should bring some welcome improvements. I still wish they were building out the headhouse and main concourse to their originally-planned sizes as part of this project; maybe next redevelopment.

7 Likes

On a related note, I found some additional renders of the proposed T8 improvements on the RFI. It looks like the intent is to drive passenger flow diagonally to the left of the main path toward Concourse C, where it is today.

8 Likes

Terminal 8 always seems poorly lit to me. It could use more natural light particularly in the check in areas.

3 Likes

Unfortunately they’re not going to make the AirTrain free this summer.

Any indications to the contrary were based on unfounded speculation.

What a loss.

Render for a pre-pandemic proposal for the built-out GTC. Gives you an idea of what we could have had at the heart of the airport.

6 Likes
7 Likes