NEW YORK | JFK Airport Renovation/Upgrades

I’m excited about both the T1 and T6 projects since they seem to be the most thought-out of the redevelopment and are equally both exciting, especially after seeing the disappointments that are T4 and T8’s expansions. I’m a jetBlue flyer so if I go long-distance, I’ll be using T5/6 anyways. I also linked the full set of new renderings as well.

Bad week for NYC…

2 Likes

Ouch.

Major traffic disruptions coming to JFK next month Major, yearslong disruptions are coming to JFK - The Points Guy

Roadways for T1 and T5 are being reconfigured to accommodate construction–this layout will last for the next 5 or so years apparently. In addition, T1 Airtrain station closes in May for around 8 months.

3 Likes

The roads at JFK are already terrible and are going to get worse during construction.

Updated render

6 Likes

that many gates on one concourse (terminal 4) is ridiculous. it’s going to take longer to check in and walk to the last gate then to transfer from Terminal 1 to 8.

“Going to”? That part is already there. And yes, it absolutely is ridiculous. It’s over half a mile. I’ve had flights that were out at the end… ugh.

3 Likes

Yea concourse B is ridiculously long. From time to time I’ve seen them use golf cart like vehicles to transport elderly/disabled people to and from the gates.

Terminal 4 needs something like what Detroit Airport has - a train that runs from one end of that long concourse to another. Going to the gates at the extreme end of that terminal must be quite the walk.

7 Likes

This would be fantastic. Seems there’s now a bus service going from one end to the other–and maybe to the base of the concourses as well, but to me that feels lacking.

Yup, same with Phoenix. Love the monorail there, its a genius design for all airports…other than the ridiculous crowds

1 Like

We need to learn to go big or go home again in this country, especially in NY. I’m sick of these half assed plans. Don’t get me wrong, the new LGA looks great but nothing now with the air train. LGA/JFK & Newark should ALL have brand new, state of the art monorail systems. How do we spend billions of dollars on new airports and not tackle one of the most critical components which is transportation around and to and from the airports?! It’s truly mind boggling.

2 Likes

Newark’s monorail is slated to be replaced, its mentioned in the EWR renovation thread but the actual speed of the replacement is going at a snails pace.

2 Likes

the newark air train is on hold indefinitely.

after procurement started, PANYNJ realized how much temporary train system they were paying for and decided to put the job on hold.

i expect we wont see a new airtrain until a final EWR master plan is released that considers the locations of the next two replacement terminals.

1 Like
3 Likes

Found this graphic showing a timeline for the main redevelopment projects. Note that it lists the T4 expansion as resuming in Q4 of 2024 for a period of two years.

From here: https://davelbostoncoach.com/blog/navigating-jfks-redevelopment-program-tips-for-travelers/

7 Likes

I also noticed the outline of T4 where the expansion is located shows the area with the expansion depicting standard non-regional jet gates like the rest of the terminal. I am starting to wonder if the current “expansion” that is dissapointing is a temporary thing.

Seems that might be the case. It would mean longer walks, however I imagine they’d extend the airside bus to the end of the pier to try and mitigate this.

1 Like