NEW YORK | JFK Airport Renovation/Upgrades

the central terminal area is centralized parking garage structure and reconfiguration of the interior road network that connects to each terminal.

central terminal area, not central terminal.

3 Likes

Got it! Thank you!

Does anyone know if Terminal 6 will be able to handle the A380 aircraft and besides JetBlue what other airlines will be using the terminal?

1 Like

Terminal 6 was never planned to handle A380s. So far, JetBlue will use the majority of the gates and it isn’t announced who else will use them. I wouldn’t be surprised if airlines that codeshare with JetBlue or partnered with them will share it.

Only Terminal 4 can handle A380s since the airlines that use them all go there.

2 Likes

I think the new terminal 1 will also be equipped to handle the A380 as currently Korean Air still flies it into JFK.

1 Like

Terminal 1 will be equipped to handle wide-bodied aircraft in general. All the gates have double jetbridges.

Also, Korean Air no longer uses A380 aircraft at JFK.

3 Likes

Not sure the title of the link is accurate as it only mentions Singapore Airlines which uses T4 not Korean Air.

I must have confused myself with the two airlines and it does seem that the New Terminal 1 will have room for two A380s. Some environmental impact document mentions it.

Gates 12 and 13 will be able to accommodate them.

3 Likes

Does anyone know which terminal is stopping flights from South America? From the companies Aeréas Latam and Azul, for example.

LATAM uses Terminal 4 although codeshare flights may use Terminal 1. Azul has no defined terminal although codeshare flights may use Terminal 5.

Codeshares are when another airline uses the same flight number and route.

1 Like

I believe I mentioned this a while ago, but they’re going to be lettered after the redevelopment concludes. Terminal 1 will become Terminal A, Terminal 4 will become Terminal B, etc. This was confirmed in an appendix of the updated JFK Redevelopment Environmental Assessment from December 2022. You can find that at the following link: Port Authority Studies & Reports | Port Authority of New York and New Jersey

The environmental assessment also insists Terminal 4/B’s construction will extend through 2027, implying the full Concourse A buildout may still be alive. The lack of any indication of this from Delta makes this questionable, however it’s worth noting that the original $4B expansion plan wasn’t formally announced until February 2020, just months ahead of the planned construction date, so I’d say there might still be hope for that.

3 Likes

In the actual environmental assessment, this is mentioned:

This was found in the supplemental appendices for the assessment.

The terminal renaming is not definite right now, it’s only a proposal at this time and not confirmed to be actually happening yet.

The draft does indicate Terminal 4 construction will be extended into 2027 although I couldn’t find anything aside from diagrams showing the full buildout for T4. I didn’t see anything else about T4 stating that it is getting the full, proper extension.

2027 per that assessment also seems to be the overall completion date of the entire redevelopment project.

2 Likes

144-02 135th Avenue

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-16/port-authority-to-spend-extra-1-billion-on-jfk-airport-project

1 Like

That extra 1 billion hopefully should be enough to keep the PA from butchering T1 and T6.

I put bloomberg article on archive.ph to bypass the paywall. Access it here.

1 Like

according to the first paragraph of the article the extra money is for the infrastructure portion of the project (roads, utlities, airside work)

thats separate from the terminals

1 Like
2 Likes

thats not what the interior will look like, fwiw

it will be far more basic

The media continues to use outdated renderings of T6. I guess they didn’t yet the memo that it was redesigned.

Honestly, I prefer the updated renderings. Some of those original T6 renderings were so janky and unrealistic that they gave me doubt it would ever get built, especially after the pandemic. Seeing more refined, realistic features makes the building seem much more tangible. Speaking of, all the latest renderings are now on the website of Corgan (the architect) JFK Terminal 6 Development | Corgan

I believe I’ve posted this link before, but they’ve added more renders since. They also have a piece about the design inspiration behind it: JFK Terminal 6: Choreographing Beauty in Aviation | Corgan

I think I’m more excited for this development than T1. I fly from T5 fairly often, so seeing the run-down void left by the Sundrome finally being filled is so satisfying, especially with such an impressive building. In addition, I think the much-loved 13L-31R view will be preserved, because while the T5 airtrain station view will be blocked, it seems the T7 station will gain a view in the absence of the old headhouse in a few years time.

3 Likes