NEW YORK | Empire Station Complex | 8 Towers | 748-1300 FT

So, in this area, we have the Empire Station Complex, then Penn Station Redevelopment (including 15 Penn Plaza), and the Madison Square Garden Relocation Plan? Are all of these separate projects?

And a few blocks to the north, we have the Bus Terminal Redevelopment (and the Macy’s Tower proposal). Wow!

2 Likes

Empire Station and Penn Station are the same, Vornado is on board with the state as developer. Vornado and Cuomo just can’t seem to settle on a name, Penn District (Vornado) or Empire Station Complex (Cuomo)

But we’ve seen renders of new skyscrapers in different locations. They don’t cover the same areas.

1 Like

The state has confirmed Vornado will be working with them to develop the properties marked for redevelopment, and the latest renderings from vornado conform to the state’s plan.

4 Likes

@rgarri4, can you please post a render from this angle?

3 Likes

Showing the entire skyline. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

16 Likes

Wow, thank you! What did you add in Jersey City to the south?

1 Like

Cool! 9 Dekalb is the tallest in that picture…
:smile:

4 Likes

That’s massing for the proposed 55 Hudson

1 Like

Oh, I’m pretty sure that proposal is canceled. :confused: We haven’t heard news on that in years.

It probably is. Its still listed as planed on Emporis so I wanted to see how something of that height would look.

1 Like

Received an email:

The meeting information for “Empire Station Complex - GPP and DEIS Public Hearing”, which you previously registered for has been updated by the host.

Please submit any questions to: help@publicworkspartners.com

Date Time: May 12, 2021 05:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: Click Here to Join
Passcode: 477629
Note: This link should not be shared with others; it is unique to you.
Add to Calendar Add to Google Calendar Add to Yahoo Calendar

Or One tap mobile :
US: +16465588656,84747208684# or +13017158592,84747208684#
Or Telephone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799
Meeting ID: 847 4720 8684
Passcode: 477629
International numbers available: [url]https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kgnuHLphC[/url]

7 Likes

My animation in the NY Post.

10 Likes

This area is a dump. I don’t know what the solution is, but it’s not a good look to visitors once they leave penn station and travel one block in any direction

1 Like

I think we should all organize and attend the Zoom hearing on 5/12 in support of this project. Also congrats @rgarri4 on NYP feature!

13 Likes

Are the rest of the proposed buildings just placeholders?

Yes but its based off of the heights and massing presented by Cuomo.

5 Likes

New York approved a budget that specifically blocks funding to the empire station development’s planned office towers. This is bad news.

“Language in the budget bill set for approval Tuesday authorizes a $1.3 billion loan to fund Cuomo’s “Empire State Complex” revamp of the railway hub — but explicitly restricts use of the money to transportation.

Instead of being spent on land for new office towers, the money “shall only be used in furtherance of [expanding Penn Station] or other transportation improvement projects and not for above-grade development,” according to the bill.”

1 Like

I might be in the minority here, but I agree that this plan doesn’t fully solve the “Penn Station Problem.” I’m not against building more towers (I wouldn’t be on this forum otherwise) but this plan seems to push out of state commuters out of the main station.

I realize I’m biased as an NJ resident, but Jersey workers who commute into Manhattan are an ENORMOUS part of the local economy. This plan pushes them to a few dead-ended tracks, south of the main complex without the through-tunnels to sunny-side yards. Even if the gateway project moves forward, dead-end tracks limit train movement.

I also think this plan needs to take a stronger stance against the real source of problems at Penn Station which is MSG! The official plan for this complex just talks about “overhauling the existing penn station by inviting in more natural light” and “expanding south to increase capacity” (Dead-end tracks).

My opinion? Focus on getting MSG relocated so you have free range to redesign this station for ALL commuters. Otherwise, you might as well slap a sign on the main entrance to Penn that says, “Out of staters not welcome.”

Then, build as many towers as you want!

7 Likes